Chapter 32

Hand in hand, Blake and I walked to Stacy's house after having parked our bikes.

"Wait-" Blake suddenly pulled me back just when my hand was about to rest on the doorknob. His eyes stared into mine seriously, "-I can't go in there."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Why?"

His face hardened and he sighed, "If I see Brian..."

My eyes widened and I nodded in understanding, "It's okay, you can stay here- I'll just say bye to Sam and take Mia."

His look softened, "I'll be outside."

I released his hand with a reassuring smile and pushed the door open. I didn't waste time and rushed up the stairs, taking two at a time. As soon as I was on Stacy's landing, I made a bee-line for her room. Standing a foot away from her door, I could hear high-pitched laughs and Mia's giggles. With a smile, I turned the knob and entered.

The scene that met my gaze nearly made me laugh out loud- Mia, Stacy and Beverly were busy jumping around squealing while pointing to Dylan O'Brien on TV. They were literally fan-girling- all three of them. An involuntary shudder ran down my spine when I thought of what the future 17-year old Mia would be- no way am I gonna let Stacy convert my sister into a sparkling pink Dylan fanatic! 

I cleared my throat and all three heads snapped towards me. Their eyes widened before they screamed all at the same time. I swear my eardrums were damaged for life.

"Pig, you're wearing a skirt!"

"Hayley you're back!"

"OMG! my clothes look so hot on you!"

No doubt, Stacy was the one who said that last one.

"Hi, guys," I winced, rubbing at my ears. Was the fact that I was wearing normal clothes that shocking?

Mia launched herself into my arms and I squeezed her tightly while the two other girls stared at me with huge grins.

I suddenly exclaimed, "I'm so sorry for stuffing my nose into your closet and taking those clothes, Stacy!"

She waved it off, "Keep it, they look amazing on you! I wish I had legs that muscular," she sighed dreamily. Muscular? Her legs were model-like and compared to mine they looked perfect.

"I know right! And did you see how thin her waist is? Do you work out?" Beverly stared at me wide-eyed and I felt myself panicking.

"N-no, I just...do yoga, yes, I do yoga," I smiled slightly, hoping that she would buy it and to my relief, she clapped her hands.

"If that's what it takes to have a body like that- then I better start stretching!" She grinned.

Scooping Mia up in my arms, I swung my bag over my shoulder, "Thank you for having me, Stacy, although I practically bailed out," I winced but Stacy shook her hand.

"I was the one who had the most fun- I swear I mistook Mia for a 17 year old girl- she's so much fun to hang out with-" Stacy was suddenly cut off by Beverly.

"-I know right! You should bring your sister for every sleepover!" Beverly smiled excitedly and I stared at Mia proudly as she turned pink.

"Thanks for hanging out with Sam though, he looked really happy this morning- apparently you share his tastes in music and hobbies,"

"Yup, I had fun," I smiled at Stacy, "See you at school on Monday, girls," I waved and they called out their goodbyes.

Just as I was about to step down the landing, someone tugged on my shirt.

"I hope you weren't about to leave without saying goodbye," Sam lifted a brow and smirked.

I gave him a sheepish smile, "I didn't see you-"

"-you mean, you didn't look you lazy butt," he cut me off with an eye-roll and my jaw dropped.

"Did you just call me butt?" I growled playfully and Mia started laughing. Sam's eyes snapped down and he gaped at the little girl hiding behind my leg.

"Is- is that your sister?" He stared down wide-eyed.

"Yup, Mia this is Sam the Monster and Sam this is Mia the princess," I smiled. Both of their faces went pale and before I knew it Mia had leapt on me, screaming her head off about monsters while Sam screamed back about not being a master.

I was having a laughing fit when both Blake and Brian broke into the room with worried faces- Blake coming from the doorway and Brian from his room.

"What's wrong?"

"Who's screaming?"

They yelled at the same time and Sam squealed, "Hayley says that I'm a monster!"

"The monster is going to attack me!" Mia screamed, pointing at Sam and I laughed harder.

"Huh?" Brian blinked.

"Sam's a monster?" Blake frowned.

And that's when I realised that both boys were in the same room, breathing the same air and were going to realise it at the same time. In a span of three seconds the air was filled with tension. It was so palpable that even Sam shut up.

Mia calmed down and looked at me with the same confused look that Sam gave me. My laughter died away as quickly as it started and I glanced worriedly between the two other boys. My frown deepened when I saw that they were glaring at each other, Blake's eyes swirling into pitch black.

"Time to go!" I called out and suddenly grabbing Mia's hand, I pulled her quickly to the door.

"Bye Sam and Brian!" I shouted while pushing Blake out and slamming the door close behind.

At my touch, a hue of blue swept into the swirly black eyes and he calmed down.

"Come on, Blake, let's go home," I smiled and he let out a sigh of defeat.

"Okay- wait!" He stopped me.

"What?" I cocked my head to the side.

"Y-you said home," a huge smile bloomed on his face while I stared at him confusedly. I called it home...home- home!

"Yay!" Mia clapped her hands, "We have a home!"

"What- no- I didn't-" I gaped. How come that had slipped? Could I really have found a home- the place I've dreamed of since forever?

Home.

The idea warmed me up and I bit my lip.

Tugging on Mia's hand and clasping my other hand in Blake's, I nodded with a soft smile, "Yeah, home it is."