Chapter 22

We sat in the back of a dark car, about as apart as you can get when you have to sit next to each other. We were on our way to the Grey Tooth pack to discuss an alliance.

I had met the alpha before, he was very arrogant and full of himself but he knew he couldn't take me on, wolves often sensed something dark about me, and tended to avoid me because of it. They would rather be allies than enemies.

Despite the silence Axel had been giving me, he demanded to come with me after hearing that the alpha was not mated. I was trying my best to ignore the fact he wasn't talking to me, but on the inside it was killing me. I might not act like it, but I really did care.

I knew I deserved it though, it wasn't fair of me to tease Axel like I had been, it was just that I didn't know how else to act around him, I wasn't really sure how to deal with my feelings.

The journey was long and silent, a pack member was driving us there.  But they were separated from us by a partition.

When we finally  arrived, Alpha Carter came to personally greet us.

He was very tall and well built, short brown hair and dark brown eyes.

"It's so nice to see you again Skylar."  He said, immediately pulling me in for a close hug.

When he released me I staggered back a little because Axel grabbed my arm and pulled me besides him, Carter didn't seem to notice. "And you." I said, giving him a tight lipped smile.

"It's been a while." He said, his eyebrow raised, "I hope you remember what happened last time you were here, back for more, eh?"

I stared at him without saying anything, surely he could sense Axel's claim on me, or even just the hateful vibes he was giving off right now.

"You're here for quite a personal matter, we can go upstairs... alone." He laughed suggestively, causing Axel's grip on my arm to tighten.

I knew he was only joking, but did he really have to do it in front of Axel?

We were right at the edge of the territory, so it didn't surprise me when Axel turned me to face him, his eyes black and said "I'm going for a run." In a voice that verged on a growl.

As though to stake his claim on me, he reached down and kissed me for a moment.

I was a little shocked, particularly that he would do it in front of Alpha Carter, but I understood his reasoning, especially when he released me and sent a warning glare towards Carter.

He left, and I turned back to face Carter.

"Somebody is jealous." He laughed.

"I wonder why." I said coldly.

"Let's go up to my... office then?" He asked, and I nodded, he began to walk into the large pack house, I followed behind him closely.

I could sense where his office was, the distinct smell of stress among various other things told me which room It was, so I was surprised when he led me past it.

Instead, he took me up to his bedroom, which I had, of course been in before.

"Are we not going to your office?" I asked.

He simply smirked at me, "Skylar we both know why you wanted to come talk to me today."

I stared at him in shock, "You're kidding right? That is literally my mate out there."

He laughed, "I knew you couldn't stay away."

"Excuse me?" I laughed at him, "You're joking right? I'm here to discuss an alliance, and that's it."