Ch. 42 Speech: Take 1

Two days later, I woke early. I got out of bed sighed.

Jake was already up. He was shirtless, standing by the dresser, looking down at his phone.

"Have you been up long?" I asked in a sleepy voice.

He looked up. He smiled, "No. I just got up." He walked over and gave me a kiss. "We should have a quick shower."

I nodded.

He carried me to the restroom and started the shower.

We stripped and got in.

Still really tired, I rested my head on his chest. I wrapped my arms around his waist. My eyelids started to droop.

He washed my hair, then his own. He kissed my forehead. "You need to wake up, baby. It's a big morning."

"No," I spoke, snuggling into Jake chest.

There was a knock on the door. "Doctor?"

"What?" I sighed.

"I brought a stylist in to help with your hair and makeup."

"Okay. I'll be out in a minute," I sighed.

The door closed.

Jake helped me out of the shower.

We dried off and went into the bedroom.

I slipped on a bra and panties. Then, I slipped my robe on and went to the stylists.

They curled my hair and did my makeup, a natural-looking look.

When they were finished, I dressed in a black blouse and gray skirt. I slipped on a matching gray blazer and black pumps.

Jake smiled at me.

He was in gray pants and a white top.

"What happened to your navy pants?" I asked.

"I'm going to listen to you."

"Oh, Jake, you don't have to-"

"Yes, I do. Now, come on. You're going to be late," he smiled, taking my hand.

Diane met us at the bottom of the stairs with cups of coffee.

We got in the SUV and went to the hospital.

I got my notecards and got ready.

We went straight to the auditorium.

It was packed! Every seat, except for a couple at the front, was taken.

Panic surged through me. I gripped Jake's hand.

He kissed my cheek and led me to the front, where his whole family was sitting.

Kelly smiled, "They allowed us all to come since it has to do with Peter."

I nodded.

We sat down.

The Chief came up to a podium on the stage.

Everyone got quiet.

"Good morning. Today, we are going to hear about a clinical trial that is resulting in a new way to eliminate pancreatic cancer. When Dr. Cole came up to me with the idea, I thought she was insane...at first. I looked at the research. It was thorough and, well, brilliant. It covered everything. When I confronted Dr. Cole about it, she told me she had not thought of the idea--a resident, who was supposed to be an intern thought of the idea."

Whispers went all around.

"Before this young doctor goes to speak at NIH, she agreed to speak here, to share her thoughts and ideas. Without further adieu, I'd like to introduce Dr. Bridget Malone."