Chapter 4

I woke up in a dazed panick, being shook by John.

"Alisa, the Jokers gone. There was an explosion at the department... and, he's gone."

My face practically drained of color.

"What? How could-.. they can't-.... what?"

John just stared at me for a moment. A look of concern and at a loss of words.

"John. Could I stay with you a bit longer than tonight?" I looked up at him, I was scared. I didn't want to go back to my apartment who knew what the joker knew about me....

"You can stay as long as you want Alisa." He stated in hardly a whisper

I nodded and we caught each others eyes with a silence of understanding.

"Let's just try to get some sleep." John nodded and went back to his room, and I fell back asleep on the couch.

I ended up staying with John for a lot longer than I'd expected, about three weeks until I finally felt confident enough to go back to my apartment.

The police department had been kind enough to pay for the bills while I was gone and make sure no one went in and out of it.

On the morning of me leaving I packed all my stuff into a suitcase John had given me. A taxi was waiting downstairs by the curb. I hugged John goodbye.

"Thanks for everything John, I appreciate it."

"Anytime Alisa. Hey you wanna grab lunch tomorrow? Around 1ish?" He said, kinda nervously.

"Yeah sure, can you pick me up?"

"Of course."

We said our final goodbyes and I put my things in the trunk of the taxi and got in. I told the taxi driver where to go. I couldn't quite see his face because it was covered by his hood, but he nodded agreeing.

The whole ride there... I couldn't help but be happy, looking at the city as we passed through it. Everything was finally over, back to normal. I grinned the biggest grin I could manage.

About 20 minutes later I was at my apartment, walking up the stairs with my bookbag. I struggled to grab the keys out of my pocket and ended up dropping them.

A kind old man with white hair, a long black jacket, and a British accent picked them up for me.

"Here you are miss." He smiled kindly, handing me my keys.

"Thank you, erhh-"

"Alfred, the one and only. And you must be?" I laughed a little, and he stuck out his hand.

"My name's Alisa." I grabbed his hand to shake it but he paused for a brief moment.

"Hmm. What a lovely name."
Then he walked away. I unlocked the door and went into my apartment. I threw my bag on the floor and flopped down on the couch. I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV.

Home sweet home. I turned on the news channel and it had just aired off of a commercial. The reporter women in the TV said that there was still no sign of either the Joker or batman, or the mayor for that matter.

I hope he's alright. Batman of course... and the mayor as well.

I decided maybe I should get out of the house for the day. I hopped in the shower and turned on the hot water, watching the steam rise to the ceiling.

My bruise had eventually healed. And although no one else could notice it. I still had the scar from the cut on my left cheek. Fairly noticeable... but, still there. I got out and put on some skinny jeans and a red tank top with a grey sweater, with my white sneakers. I tied my long think wet hair in a messy bun and applied some makeup.