Chapter 5

I woke up startled at about 3 a.m. the TV screen was off and my computer on the floor, the screen closed shut. I was laying on the couch with a blanket. Must've grabbed it and gone back to sleep.

In the past month I had gotten a new phone, an Iphone. It went off and I practically jumped out of my skin. I slowly reached over to the coffee table and picked it up, a private number appeared and I slid the red bar across the screen. Not wanting to talk to anyone at this hour.

I got up and slid into my sneakers. My phone rang again. This time I slid the green bar. A strangely familiar voice came on.

"Don't think I would have let you go so easily would you?" My breathing quickened as I came into realization,"I see potential in you darling. Like I've said before, we aren't so different, you and I." He chukled a little.

For a moment I didn't say anything. I felt like everything had frozen including myself... but I knew I couldn't let him get to me. I couldn't let the Joker win.

"What else could you possibly want from me? Haven't you already had your fun?"

"Well I want what's mine of course." I huffed.

"What? Do you want money? Because if it's money you want then you can have it."

He laughed hysterically as if I'd just made the funniest joke to ever exist.

"Money, you think this is about money? That's only thing theifs and murderers care about in Gotham. This city deserves a better class of criminals. And I'm gonna give it to them. It's not about money, it's about sending a messege. Everything burns."

At those words I flinched a little.. those were the exact words on the note that had been in my pocket.

"What does any of this have to do with me?"

"Listen, there's a fundraiser being hosted by an old friend of mine. Meet me there tomorrow. 7:00 p.m. sharp... I'll be waiting. And don't be late, because I heard that your little boyfriend Johnny really likes you. And we wouldn't want anything to happen to him now would we?"

I was about to yell and tell him to stay the fuck away from John... but the phone cut off as soon as he was done speaking. That's why he gave me back my dress.... he wanted me to wear it to the party tomorrow.

I ran inside my bedroom, the dress untouched.. sitting exactly how it was. Except now there was a note sitting on it. It told me where the party was, it was an invitation card... addressed to me.

I went into my closet and found the suit that the joker had had me wear when he'd kidnapped me. I reached down in the pocket and found the knife that I'd been given from the Joker.

I took it out, it had my name engraved on it. The knife being silver, the handle a dark shade of purple, and the words of my name were in green. How thoughtful of him. I took the knife and I grabbed the dress.

I brought in the bathroom and sliced off the sleeves, made it a strapless dress. And cut the bottom of it off so it was just above the knees. The dress was red, and and felt like silk.

The invitation had said this was a masquerade ball... I went and got a box out of my closet. I had been to one of these before. I took out a white and gold mask that would only cover my eyes, and a white pair of gloves that would reach my elbows. What ever that son of a bitch was planning. I'd be ready.

I went back to the couch and slowly started to drift asleep. The beginnings of a plan, and a wicked plan for that matter, forming in my head. It was just a matter of time.....