Chapter 12

I hurridly walked into my bedroom and shut the door. It was still broad daylight so I left the light switch off and instead, walked over to my window and opened the curtains.

I knew what I had to do, I was just unsure of how to do it. It seemed easy the way Batman did it. I mean, obviously he was living a double life so no one could know his true identity... I would just have to do the same.

I would need to change myself. Maybe tell everyone I was moving away, or change my identity.. either way, I was going to get rid of the innocent, kind Alisa I once knew.

I tied my hair up and walking over to my bed, reached my hand inside my pillow and felt the granular texture of paper cloth. It was my own personal safe for if there was to be a "special occasion".

I took out the money and counted how much I had for a couple minutes. In all it was $500 dollars, which wasn't necessarily a lot. But it was enough.

I shoved the money in my back pocket and walked out of my room for the front door. I felt in my pockets for my phone, but it wasnt there.

I checked the living room and couch, where I'd last had it, and started searching for it under the cushions but could not find it.

Although just a phone, I started to get annoyed and anxious, impatiently trying to remember where I'd left it. I knelt down and looked under the couch, and there on the dust covered floor was my phone, and a peice of paper.

I slid both out and jammed my phone in my other back pocket while blowing off the note.

It was addressed to me, from John.

Hey Alisa, I have something I need to talk to you about, it's important. I wanted to write it while you were getting ready for our.... night out? Anyhow, I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me? At the small little coffee shop down the street from where you live. I'd rather not talk about it in person, but if you would, meet me there on the 11 of October, 5:00 p.m. . It's ok if you don't come, I will have my answer then.
- John

Our "night out" hadn't been too long ago. I took out my phone to check the date and saw that it was the 8th. Hmm, did I like John? I felt myself blush, even though no one else was in the room.

Maybe I did like him? After all, he is my hero. Conflicted, I decided that going to the store right now might take this off my mind for the time being.

I left the note on the table and headed out the door. While driving, I tried, but I couldn't stopping thinking about what John had said. And what I was planning to do about it. Should I just not go? If I were to follow through with my plan to somehow take down the Joker.... I couldn't have a relationship with John. I wouldn't do that to him.

As hard as I could, I tried to think of something else, pushing the thoughts of John to the back of my mind. Soon enough I arrived at Walmart.

As I entered I went straight to the hair product section... I stared hard at the hair dye, as if it were the most interesting thing I'd ever layed eyes on.. for the time being.

I had to choose whether to follow through with my plan or not. And this would only be the first step. I would need to change my name, get a new ID, find a job, move someone else in the city. And then, and only then, would I be able to start my revenge, to take down the Joker.

And all I had to do was buy a single box of hair dye; it was my match, and I had to decide whether or not to light it.

I eyed it for another minute or so, then slowly started to turn around. What was I thinking? Was the Joker right? Wasn't this what he wanted? For me to become just as insane and chaotic as him?

I froze in my tracks... maybe.. just maybe... if I played his little game, I could beat him. But I was no Batman. How would I ever defeat him?

Batman had the people at his side. The Joker had the MOB. And me? Well, who did I have?

It's not like I was planing to be the superhero like batman, so the citizens wouldn't stand at my side. But I was also planning to take down one of the most powerful villains in Gotham, by becoming a villain myself, and I don't think the MOB or anyone would dare betray him.

Maybe, if I were to secretly weave my way up in the under world of criminals, I could put myself out there. Maybe I had to do something so crazy that the Joker or the MOB would notice me. Batman would, the press. How far was I willing to go thougn?

Once again I turned towards the hairdye, stared at the white and the blonde. I couldn't decide which to use. So instead I grabbed both. Guess two choices were better than one.