Chapter 15

Aelia's POV

Haldir led us through path upon path which my feet followed mindlessly as my mind wandered. I let myself entertain thoughts of running away in the middle of the night before quickly reminding myself of the great amount of guards that patrolled the borders.

"The heart of Elvendom on earth. Realm of the Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel, Lady of Light," Haldir said. Though his back was turned I could see the proud smile that crept onto his face.

We trekked towards Caras Galadhon before walking up a winding elegant stairway towards the grand court of Galadriel and Celeborn. A soft smile slipped onto my face as I looked around. The court sparkled like diamonds and glittered like the stars but the walls were no match to the beauty of the Lord and Lady who descended to meet us.

I fell to my knees touching my head in respect feeling horribly unworthy in my dirt caked clothes to be near a couple who in their white garments seemed to glimmer.

As I remained in my demoted position as Celeborn spoke, "The Enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine that are here yet ten there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar."

My heart broke again; I could almost see it fall in two pieces from my chest and land still on the marble floor. I raised my eyes slightly as Galadriel spoke, "Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He has fallen into Shadow."

Legolas elucidated the lady's statement, his voice breaking slightly, "He was taken by both Shadow and flame. A Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria."

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his full purpose," Galadriel rebuked before turning to Gimli. "Do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-dûm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Glóin. For the world has grown full of peril. And in all lands love is now mingled with grief."

Galadriel spoke in my head, 'Verya, I am disappointed in you, you are stronger than this, lift your head, stand and speak. I know how truly you care for Gandalf, but forget your sadness and return to your previous ways." I stood slowly and raised my head slightly.

As Galadriel's voice faded Celeborn spoke, "What now becomes of this Fellowship? Without Gandalf, hope is lost."

"The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true," added the Lady. "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight you will sleep in peace..."

We were ushered from the court and each to a respective bath with a dressing room attached.

A single elleth remained with me saying, "I am to help you with your bath."

My voice was hoarse from lack of use and I was uncomfortable using it, "I appreciate the help you offer but despite the vast amount of dirt and blood I am in no need of help."

"The Lady told me you would most likely refuse help. There is a fresh set of clothes in the large wardrobe and I ask you to leave your dirty things on the ground. I will remain here and take you to where the rest of the fellowship will be."

I bathed quickly, but it felt brilliant to pull the dirt from my skin and under my nails. I washed the dirt from my hair and was not the least bit surprised when I climbed from the basin to find the water a murky brown. Wrapping a towel around my bare body I opened the cupboard horrified to find a long white dress.

I picked up both pairs of my dirty clothes only to find each seemingly as dirty as if they had been dipped in mud before being placed on a horse racing track for a fortnight. Reluctantly I pulled on the dress before tugging on my cloak, weapons, pack, and brother's pendent and stepped from the room.

The elleth was quite frankly shocked to see me. Though, she appeared oddly sad when she saw me in my Father's cloak before saying, "My lady, please let us mend your cloak, I swear it will be returned to you. I know how important it is to you Aelia."

I flinched hearing my name and removed my cloak all the same, but the elleth seemed sad, "I see you do not remember me; nonetheless, I will take you to the others. Follow me."

As I entered the clearing where the rest of the fellowship sat a song of a thousand tears fell from the treetops.

"A lament for Gandalf," Legolas said to the others.

Merry looked up, "What do they say about him?"

"I have not the heart to tell you. For me the grief is still too near," Legolas answered.

"I bet they don't mention his fireworks," said Sam sadly, "there should be a verse about them.

"The finest rockets ever seen

They burst in stars of blue and green

Or after thunder, silver showers...

...Came falling like a...rain of flowers

"Oh, that doesn't do them justice by a long road."

"They tell of Gandalf's life," I said softly as the others filched at my voice, "Of the fellowship of the Fifteen, my first fellowship. Yes, this is not my first fellowship in fact I was the Fifteenth. Gimli, I am sure you remember the tales."

Gimli smiled and said, "It was you! I remember how kindly my father spoke of you, he called you a fearless idiot and a forgiving fool."

Gimli's smile turned to a frown as he remembered, "But he also said you never seemed quite happy like now and how you always seemed ready to die, but remembered something at the last minute. Then he said you did die... but you're alive?"

I explained my story to them, of my capture and escape and the sadness I had never really come to means with, "My friends, I have no family left. At times in the past when my brother yet lived I would often find myself despairing and prepared myself to meet my sisters and parents again before realizing I was all my brother had left."

I continued my story telling them of the great adventures I had once as a member of the group who attacked Smaug's mountain. Though, as I began to tell them of Fili and Kili my voice broke, "By the great mountain Oiolosse, I miss the pair of them, they were so young, it was never one without the other far behind until that fateful day," I turned to Merry and Pippin, "You remind me so much of them; swear to me that you will never lose hope, I saw it in their eyes as the orcs closed..." I could no longer hold my tears and excused myself from the others.

I wandered slowly along the moonlit paths and through the trees of this great land. My heart had nearly forgotten the fear entering this land had first given me until a voice said, "So the snake returns to its nest..."

#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#

DUN DUN DUN... yeah hey yep, I'm alive, yes very extremely alive.

Here you can relieve all your anger for my absence... Done yet?... Good...

Sorry I haven't been updating I've been extremely busy with Certamen (Mondays and Wednesdays), Band rehearsal (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and homework everyday of the week including the weekend.

I hope that you are enjoying my story and sorry for the distance between updates

So to all Canadians: Happy Thanksgiving

To all Americans: Happy Columbus Day

And to all others: Smile, today is a gift, that's why its called the present.

-WayBetweenTheWorlds