Chapter 8

I don’t see Rory for 2 months. I go along everyday wishing I could, but I stay busy. My mother has a lot of patients this time of year. I treat cold and flus and other things. I keep my mind away from Rory as much as possible, but he always ends up coming to mind. The day I have to leave for the Victory Tour and after I’m dressed, there is a knock at the door. I open it and in comes Rory. He hugs me and doesn’t let go. Cameras take pictures and I know it will be on every magazine and news broadcast. He steps back and kisses me, tipping me so my body is at a 60 degree angle. He kisses me even though everyone is there. I kiss him back and wrap my arms around him. We finally break apart and he hugs me again.
“I had to sneak out, but I had to see you before you left.” He whispers in my ear.
“Thank you Rory. Thank you so much.” I whisper back. We walk to the couch and sit down, holding hands. We smile for the cameras. When they get their pictures, they leave us. We sit on the couch and I lean my head against his shoulder. I close my eyes and imagine he didn’t have to sneak out. He wasn’t going to get yelled at when he went home. I stayed there until Peeta came over with Katniss.
“Prim, we have to go.” He told me. I want to cry. I look at Rory.
“Will you be here when I get back?” I ask him.
“I will do my best. I promise.” He tells me. He gives me one more squeeze. I don’t know what makes me say it, maybe leaving him for another two weeks when I just saw him for the first time after 2 months, but I say it.
“I love you Rory.” I say softly, but Katniss and Peeta can hear it. They both smile and Katniss looks like she may cry. He looks at me.
“I love you too Prim.” I smile widely. I turn into his shoulder and let a tear slip out. He lifts my chin and says.
“I will be here when you get back.” Then he kisses me softly. I kiss him back and a camera man takes a picture of us. He gets the side my tear is on and I know this will be a departure picture for sure. My mother comes down stairs and shrieks at us.
“Prim! You are too young to be kissing!” She gawks at me. Everyone laughs. She comes over and hugs me.
“I’ll miss you baby girl.” She says to me. I hug her back.
“I’ll miss you too.” Peeta and I walk out and stop on the step. Rory runs past me to get home, probably hoping Gale didn’t notice he left. I’m going to miss him so much. I turn to Katniss and give her a hug.
“Peeta will do most of the talking, you will be fine. I love you.” She says.
“I love you too Katniss.” I say back. I video camera with a man behind it comes over. He video tapes Katniss and Peeta saying good bye.
“I’m going to miss you Katniss. I love you.” Peeta says hugging her, crying.
“You’ll be back soon. I hope you get back sooner than expected.” Katniss says.
“I love you too Peeta.” And they break away. She waves to us from the door step because she can’t go to the train station with us. I blow her a kiss, and climb into the car. Everyone else will be waiting at the station.