Chapter 34

We sit in a room full of the other tributes. Last year when Peeta and I were here, he looked around at the other tributes and evaluated them. He told me to do the same thing this time and keep the biggest threats in mind. The tributes from 1 and 2 are going to stick out because they are careers. From one there is a very snobby looking pair. I look down and I see their hands are entwined. I guess that means they are together. That also means some competition between Rory and me. We want to be the ones to give the audience the show so they sponsor us. I guess Rory and I can only do our best from here. The two from District 2 look nothing like the team from last year. Then again, the tributes last year were younger. These two are older and a lot meaner. I think the name of the girl is Enobaria, and the guy is Brutus. They both have this look to them like if you even say hi to them, you are going to die. I look away from them. The two from district 3 are the inventors. I talked to them a bit during training and they seem to know a lot. Wiress is incredibly smart, but she has trouble explaining what she is trying to say. Beetee usually translates for her. District 4 is with us. It’s nice to have some previous careers with us. Even though I don’t think Finnick stayed with the group. Not many more tributes stand out except Joanna from district 7. She actually is very dangerous. She can trick people into thinking she isn’t much, but then can turn around and kill viciously. That’s how she won her games. It scares me to think I will have to be in the same place as her with a lot of weapons. I try to push it out of my mind as I see that during my evaluation, districts 1, 2, and 3 have already gone out for their interviews. Wow. I look at Rory and he looks at me. Words don’t need to be said. It’s like we know what the other is thinking. We are about to be on every camera in all of Panem. Of course, I have done this a few times so it’s easier. But Rory looks whiter than a bed sheet. I take his hand and I look at his eyes. I was in the same situation last year. I was terrified to go out there, but Peeta helped me. In fact, I tell Rory the exact same thing Peeta told me last year. Because it’s true.
“Rory, it’s okay. It’s just an interview.” I say in a soothing voice. He just stares at me. Not saying a word.
“Just, think of it this way. My interview is going to be a lot harder than yours. It’s going to be putting a lot more stress on me. You just have to make the crowd like you, which shouldn’t be hard at all.” I say. He still just looks at me.
“Why? Why is your interview going to be harder?” He asks.
“Because. You will see later when we watch them upstairs. Just, remember mine will be harder than yours. That should make things easier.” I say and I kiss his cheek. I sit back in my chair but I don’t let go of his hand because I’m hoping it makes him feel better. We don’t really move until we watch all the other tributes on the T.V in front of us go through an interview. No one does anything big to impress the crowd, but tears are shed anyway. Theses capitol people, they love these Victors. And since the people the Victors are with are so close, and popular, they love them too. The audience cries a lot thinking of all of these people dying. I want to also, because I got to know some of them during training, but I stay strong. I have to. Katniss will be watching and Gale and mom and Rosemary and everyone will be watching me. Everyone will be watching Rory too. I close my eyes until someone comes in the door.
“Primrose Everdeen.” He says looking at me since I’m the only girl in here. I look at Rory with a reassuring smile. He looks a little green. I stand up, but lean right back down and give him a kiss. I look back at the man waiting impatiently and I let go of his hand. I walk to the man and we go down a long hallway and onto the back of the stage where the boy tribute from District 11 is just getting down with his interview. I take a deep breath to prepare myself. District 11 walks off the stage, smiles at me, turns his face to expressionless, and walks past me. Well that was weird. Maybe he knew Thresh or Rue and enjoyed my speech for them. No stupid! You have started an uprising that could free this entire country! I think to myself. Then, I hear a voice calling out into a microphone.
And now, from District 12 and the most recent Victor, of the 74th Annual Hunger Games, please put your hands together for Primrose Everdeen!” Ceaser exclaims over the already roaring crowd. I look up and see him staring at me. I slowly take my first step forward.