Chapter ten: deep sleep

I woke up, or at least it thought did, to a loud beeping noise. I was very confused. I couldn’t see anything. I couldn’t open my eyes or even move a finger. I heard a door open. I was scared because I wasn’t able to look to see who it was. I heard soft footsteps coming toward me and whoever it was, stopped in front of me. They were crying.

          “Charlotte.” I knew that voice from anywhere. It was Harry.

“Char, I’m so sorry. This is all my fault. You weren’t acting like yourself and I should have talked to you about it… Your mom is shook up about the whole thing. She went to go get coffee, so she should be back soon.” He chuckled. I wanted to get up and hug him. I tried so hard but I couldn’t.

          “I don’t know if you can hear me but I want you to know that I love you Charlotte and that I’ll be here if- when you wake up.” Harry said softly. I could tell by his voice that he genuinely meant it.

“I’m going to go now, but I’ll be back. Love you Char.” I heard footsteps fade away slowly, and then a door shut. I hated this. I hated feeling like this. I hated that I couldn’t move or see my family. And what I hated the most was that I let myself get like this.

          It’s been a while. No one has been in my room. I just lay there lifelessly. I’m guessing a few days have passed. My mom and Harry would always visit me. Collin would come occasionally with Harry. But they were the only three. No one else cared to show up. While I laid there thinking about everything, I heard the door creak open again. The noises of the footsteps were getting louder and louder. Whoever it was sat in the chair I’m assuming was next to the bed.

          “Charlie…” Oh my gosh. It was Joe.

          “I know I shouldn’t be here but I felt like I should. Everyone at school has been talking about you for the past three weeks.” Whoa, whoa, whoa. I’ve been here for three weeks?!

          “I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have snapped at you or even accuse you of cheating. I know you wouldn’t do it. I just got jealous. I heard Harry and Collin joking around and I just took it literally. Look babe, I’m so sorry. I really am. Charlie, I love you…” Joe said. He started to cry. I wanted to hug him to but some part of me didn’t feel bad. He’s part of the reason I’m here right now. I heard heavy breathing but it was Joe because he was still crying. Oh shit. That meant someone heard everything.

          “Are you Joe?!” I heard Harry’s voice crack.

“Are you Joe?! Her boyfriend?! Is this why she didn’t let anyone meet you?” He yelled. 

          “Harry look I-” Joe started.

“You could go to jail for this! How could you do this? She was upset this whole time over you and now this happened. Why? Can you please just tell me why?” Harry cried.

          “It just happened! I don’t know! Then we- I had a misunderstanding and broke up with her. And I regret it. This is my fault” Joe sniffled.

“Yeah it is… I- I can’t even look at you right now. I got to go!” I heard Harry weep. I’m guessing he left already because it was quiet. I couldn’t tell if Joe was still there because it was really quiet. I didn’t hear anything.

          After that incident, Harry hasn’t come back. My mom has been in and out of course talking to me, telling me what’s going on, and how everyone is. I wasn’t paying any attention until one day she was talking about my dad.

          “So uh it’s been twenty seven days since the accident, and uh it’s hard. It really is but we’re all being strong about it, especially you.” My mom wept.

“Oh hell! I’m sorry I keep sobbing… Well good news is that your dad is coming home tomorrow therefore I’ll be out for a few hours. I can’t wait. It was just hard to tell him what happened to you.” my mom went on…

          She finally left and I just laid there not able to do anything. I heard the hospital door open. I just thought it was one of those annoying nurses checking up on me again but I was wrong. Whoever it was, was a visitor because I heard them sit in the chair next to me.

          “Charlie.” It was Joe.

“I’m not sure if you heard, but Harry knows about us. He was really pissed. I mean- we all are upset. We miss you so much.  I need you to be strong for me and come back, please… I have to go now. I saw Harry in the parking garage. I don’t think he wants to see me here. I love you Charlie.” Joe said. He left. His words really touched me. It really inspired me. I did need to come back for my mom, dad, Harry, Collin, and even Joe.

          I can do this. I can do this. I repeated that in my head and that’s when I did it. I inhaled a gasp of air. My heart monitor was going very fast. About four to five nurses rushed in the room to my aid. I couldn’t believe it. I woke up.