Chapter seventeen: because of you

I woke up to an empty bed. I looked around and didn’t see Joe in sight. I got up and noticed I was still wearing my clothes from yesterday. I slowly got up and heard the floor creek. I walked out of the bedroom and into the living room and kitchen area. I saw Joe cooking to what seemed to be eggs and bacon. I noticed he didn’t notice me so I slowly crept up to the small kitchen island where he was cooking. I banged on the counter very loudly as I watched Joe jump. A chuckle escaped my lips.

          “Morning to you too.” He said as he joke fully glared at me.

“Can I take a shower?” I asked.

          “You don’t have to ask love. I’ll leave clean clothes out for you.” he replied.

“But I don’t have any clothes here.” I said sheepishly.

          “You can wear mine.” He smirked. Gosh! I miss that smirk. I smiled at him and walked into the bathroom. I stripped out of my clothes and into the shower. It felt nice to have hot water hitting my skin. I finally stepped out. I dried myself off. I realized to get to Joe’s room, where my clothes were, I would have to run out of the bathroom and into his room with the risk of Joe seeing me in a towel. I peeked my head out and saw Joe look at me.

          “Look away.” I demanded. And then he smirk; again.

“Why should I? I’ve already seen you naked.” He said.

          “Joe, cover your eyes!” I whined. He covered his eyes with his hands but I could tell he was peaking. I quickly rushed into Joe’s room, closing the door behind me. I looked on his bed and saw he took me out a white V-neck shirt, green and red plaid boxers and grey sweat. I took my towel off and put on the clothes Joe laid out for me. I let my hair air dry by putting it in a ponytail.

          I walked out of his bedroom feeling a bit insecure. I strolled over to the kitchen. I saw Joe focusing on what he was cooking. I went closer to him and hopped on the kitchen island.

          “Whatcha cooking?” I asked while studying him. He was wearing pajama pants and a white shirt, while his hair was messy.

“Eggs and bacon.” He simply replied.

          “Joe can I talk to you for a sec?” I asked. He put his spatula down and walked in front of me.

“Sure, what’s up?”

          “I just wanted to say thank you for everything.”

“You don’t have-” I cut him off.

          “No seriously. Thank you. I would be homeless right now and probably crying my eyes out.” I chuckled nervously.

“Charlie, honestly, you don’t have to thank me. You’re welcome here anytime.” He replied with a genuine smile.

          “I love you.” I accidentally blurted out. I immediately covered my mouth embarrassed that I had just said that. Joe looked me in the eyes in shock. He gently but slowly removed my hands from mouth and held them in his own hands. He moved a little closer to my face leaving inches between us.

          “I love you too.” Those four words made my heart skip a beat. We both leaned in and filled the gap between us. We were kissing and I couldn’t believe it. It just felt so right to be back with him. We finally pulled away after a while to catch our breath.

          “I just want to call you mine again,” Joe admitted.

“You can.” I smiled. I pressed my lips to his. I quickly jumped off the counter and ran over to the stove. I took the eggs off the stove and dumbed the pan in the sink since they were burnt and smoking up the apartment.