Chapter 8 ~ Smile Dog

Liu looked up and hugged me. "Listen, Brook, I need to get back to my house with all my other friends. I promise I will come back sometime." He said. "I want to meet your other friends. Do you know BEN? Or Jane? Or Natalie? Or Laughing Jack? Or E.J.?" I asked.
His green eyes darted back and forth. He nodded and walked over to the window. He climbed out and down to the ground.

Why must my friends not use a door, but my bedroom window?

I shrugged and picked my book up. Like I said before, it's about how America and England were best friends and then they separated. It is a really well-made book. What I'm still wondering is how the author knows so much about this without actually being there. I mean, this book was written 12 years ago and it happened like 300 years ago. The author would have been dead if he really was there, right? Maybe I'm just crazy. 

But look at my friends. They're crazier.

-----------------------------
I fell asleep reading my book. It's like that most nights. I love reading, but Mommy says that beauty is more important than brains. I think the other way. Books are essential if you don't want to be uneducated. A bonus is that you can have more than one life. I've read Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, it's the ability to place yourself in the actual story. I've gone to Hogwarts and fought in the battle. I've been in the area with Katniss and Peeta.

It's amazingly terrifying and super awesome at the same time.

---------------------------
I woke up at 3:33, hey all the numbers match! That's really cool! Anyways, I woke up and turned my little pink lamp by my bed. The light from it was dim but bright enough to see. My book was laying on the floor, I must have dropped it when I was sleeping.

I heard a noise. It sounded like a doggie. What if it is a doggie? Maybe Mommy and Daddy will let me keep it. I used to have a bunny, but Mommy said that she went to a bunny house, because that's where the bad bunnies go. Maybe Glitter will come back. I have a fishy. It's like pink and red and lots of other colors. I love Cupcakes, I do love Cupcakes, he's my fishy.

Under my bed is a scary place. It's dark, cold, and monsters live in there! Taking a big breath, I looked under my bed.

Nothing.

Nothing was under there. I got happy for no reason.

That was until a smile appeared. It wasn't like a doggie's smile. It looked like a person. As quietly as humanly possible, I pulled out my knife from under my pillow. Don't provoke it. Don't do what you did to Keith. You still have that scar. I bet you really regret that. Yeah, I really do.

It barked and poked its tongue out at me.

I froze, trying not to move. It crawled out and sat on the pink carpet by my dresser. He, I think, had red and black fur and a big person like smile. Even when it slept, the grin never left its face. Scary. That's all I have to say.

I heard someone fall in from the window.

"Of course! Someone would be crawling inside my window at," I glanced at the clock. "3:43 in the morning!"

"Not my fault that my dog likes to climb into little girls' houses at 3:43 in the morning." A deep voice said.

I knew that voice from anywhere. One word.

Jeff.

"Jeff, why are you here? Last time I knew you didn't have a dog. And how did you find him? Is the Smiling Dog yours?" I ranted, flopping back into the pillows. Jeff just sat down next to the thing and petted it. Now that they're together, I can really see the resemblance. Wide dark eyes. Grins that are very freakish.

Yep, that's Jeff's dog alright.

He just stayed quiet and lied down next to Thing. That's what I'm calling it for now. Thing snuggled close to Jeff and licked the corners of his cut up smile. If the doggie was a human, they'd make a cute couple. But not a doggie and a person.

I looked over at them for a few minutes. Jeff looked like he was trying to close his eyes, but couldn't. Smile Thing was sleeping. I think I'll call it Smile Dog, one because he smiles, and two, he's a dog. Simple, right?

I just realized, Jeff's eyes look like someone took a cup and a marker, and put it up to his eyes. It's pretty funny if you think about it like that.

Shrugging any thoughts about the most random things away, I lied back down into the pillow.

Maybe, one day, my friends won't be so strange.