Chapter 13 ~ Masky and Hoodie ~ Part One

Hey people, read the author's note at the bottom, please! It's pretty important. 

Turtle. (I like turtles)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I leaned against a tree, panting. Why were those girls hung up? Was I going to be one of them? What was she going to do to me? My neck still hurt, partly because of how tight she wrapped the bandage, but at least it had stopped bleeding. The dress looked really pretty, even in the dark. Looking up, the moon was smiling at me. 

But, it wasn't good. It wasn't an "I'm so happy to see you" smile. It was more of "You're all alone, perfect." grin. A smile that within it, it showed I shouldn't have been here.  And I couldn't agree more. 

I wanted to be home. I wanted to be laying in bed, listening to Keith's music blaring, Mommy yelling, and Daddy screaming back at her. I wanted my normal life. Tears pricked at my eyes, threatening to fall. No, I can't cry now. I have to be brave out here. I can't be scared. I could die, and nobody would know. My mind wandered off, like any other time. 

Like, was Mommy worried about me? Did she even notice I went missing? Probably not. She'd never worry about me. She didn't worry about me when she left me in the store. Or when she left me in the car when she went to that bottle store and that guy took the car. 

Maybe she was worried. Ya know, that motherly worry.  Then again, I don't know what that kind of worry and love feels like.

Probably not, though. She's never worried about me. Well, at least not anymore. 

Sometimes, I feel like the only reason I was born was so Mommy would have a little doll to own. A little doll she could dress up and parade around, then throw off to the side while she plays with her little friends, who have better stuff. A little doll that sits on the shelf, left alone until it falls, but no one really notices. 

Mommy and Daddy wanted one of each, a boy and a girl. A son, so they had someone to carry on the family name. A daughter, so... well, um. I don't really have a purpose or reason why I was born. One time, I heard Daddy yelling at Mommy, that if she had never gone out drinking that night, I would have never existed. I'm not sure what that means, though. Mommy started yelling back that it was his fault that she went out. Keith ran out of his room, a light trail of smoke following after him. I was sitting in the corner, watching from where I silently played with my blocks. He told both of them to shut up and picked me up, taking me out to the porch. 

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Brooklynn. Just know, they both love us. No matter what." He had said, looking into my eyes with his own bloodshot ones. He wrapped his skinny arms around me, quietly singing my favorite song, Secret by The Pierces. 

We sat on the porch until the yelling subsided. It was long after dark when we went in. Afterwards, we both went to our own rooms, never speaking of the incident again. It's been 3 years since then. 

The song was way too relatable for my 3-year-old brain to understand at the time. Now, I really understand. My life is one huge secret. A daughter who was never supposed to exist. A son who never tells anything. A cheating husband and father. A once caring mother, turned into a chronic drinker. 

But none of it makes it out to the media. 

~~

I lightly smiled, remembering how messed up my life really is. Sometimes, I wonder if anyone really knows what goes down behind locked doors and painted walls.

Hearing some leaves ruffles in the distance, I turned around and saw a flash of yellow go by me. It went by so fast, I wasn't actually sure if it was real, considering what I've been through within the last few... I think days. 

Suddenly feeling a pain in my shoulders, I shrugged off the cheap set of wings. I looked down and gently ran my fingers over the red indents. They stung, but not much. I laid them down on the ground, not exactly caring if they got dirty. It's not like I'll be using them anytime soon. I rubbed my forehead, still feeling a dull pain. 

My legs felt weak, but I placed my hands against the tree and pushed myself up. I was able to stand, but I fell couple times while trying.  I leaned down and ripped off those dreaded shoes, flinging them over to the side somewhere. Stepping forward, I balanced myself. It was difficult, but I managed. My feet were unsteady, stumbling over each over. The stray branches on the ground poked at my feet, drawing little beads of blood.  

I walked forward, trying not to make my feet bleed more than they already were, which was very difficult. After slowly making my way down to a little clearing, I became more confident in walking without the support of the trees.  I heard that noise again, making me turn around. 

I could have sworn I saw two men in brightly colored jackets. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey people! I had to split this chapter into two part because I really need to get this chapter out and you guys really wanted it. 

Today (August 30th), my friend is picking me up and we're going to the high school for orientation. We get to drop off our stuff for the 1st day, talk with our teachers, etc.  I'm super excited and all that. 

And I will be gone all day. 

So here's your update for a few days. 

Bye!!