Chapter 23

"Mr. Malfoy, what a delightful surprise" Severus sarcastically greeted the young boy" What do you want?"

Draco rolled his eyes at Severus's dry welcome "I went to see Ara" He began

Severus kept his surprise hidden under a skillfully bored mask. "Good for you, Draco" It was curious, however. It was no secret that Ara and Draco wanted nothing to do with each other anymore. "Out with it then, Draco" Severus sneered impatiently when the boy didn't say anything but glare.

"Professor Quirrell was standing over her bed, muttering to himself" Draco hastily explained to his godfather. 

A dark glare crossed Severus's face. What was Quirrell playing at? "What was he saying, Draco?"

"I didn't hear much, it was all nonsense" Draco frowned

Severus stiffly nodded "I see. Thank you for telling me Draco, I will be handling this "He paused, and grabbed the boy's shoulder "I have something for you to do, Draco. It's a very serious task"

Draco nodded with a hesitant look "Okay, Professor?"

"When Arabella wakes from her injury, I want you to put aside your foolish grudge" Severus quickly continued before Draco could interrupt "I want you to keep a close eye on her, do you understand me Draco? Enough of this foolish grudge, she needs you. Do you understand me?"

This really must serious. Draco thought to himself. But I'll do this, Ara's family, I'll do anything. "I'll forgive her" He promised solemnly, "I'll tell the other Slytherin's not to give her anymore trouble, they'll keep an eye on her if I ask"

Severus released the boy, feeling somewhat relieved that his godson wasn't so brainwashed by his father that he wouldn't help his cousin. "Good, you and I will keep this to ourselves"

~~~

Ara finally awoke with a splitting headache that the viciously glaring lights did nothing to help. She let out a loud groan that alarmed Madam Pomfrey.

The healer was at Arabella's side in an instant with an off colored potion. She lifted up Ara's head, and assisted Ara drink the contents.

Arabella visibly cringed at the taste; it had the overwhelming taste of Dittany that made it hard to swallow. Though the taste was foul, the potion went to work immediately and relieved the pain to almost non-existent aches. Ara sighed in relief, she suddenly felt so much better!

"How bad is the pain now, on a scale to ten?" Madam Pomfrey questioned, letting Ara slowly sit up on her own.

Arabella rubbed her head, wincing as she touched the tender bruise "Five"

Madam Pomfrey pulled Arabella's hand away from her bruise. "Don't touch it" She reprimanded, "Where do you feel pain?"

"My head, mostly" Ara's finger's ghosted over her lip, "My lip and jaw, too" She added, tracing the sore spots gently. 

"The troll did quite a number to your face, Ms. Black, but nothing permanent thankfully. Consider yourself lucky" She patted the girl's leg over the blanket, "I'll contact your father, in the mean time, are you hungry?" 

"Starved" Ara admitted, "How long have I been here?"

"A little over a day, Ms. Black" Said the Healer as she walked to her office in the back of the infirmary.

Ara rubbed her head with a cringe, pushing Hermione out of harms way had been a good idea at the time. She paused for a moment; no, I would do it again if I had to. 

Arabella tilted her head curiously as she looked at the end of the bed. There was a small table covered in candy with a little note on top of it all. "Well, this certainly isn't a get well soon from Severus" She said, reaching over the plucking the note off the sweets.