Chapter 18: Ground Troops

(Author's Note: Picture of Jax's Jet above. Please let me know if the picture isn't visible.)

Britt's POV:

My head pounds and my eyes throb in my head. My lungs burn and my arms and legs feel like I just got through with lifting weights.

I'm laying on a mattress, I can feel that. My eyes open to an unfamiliar and dark candle lit room. It's large, about the size of an average classroom, no windows, but it has old unpolished wooden floors and log walls; must be a cabin. The smell of moisture invades my nose as I turn my head to look around.

Everyone is in here, leaning against the walls, asleep.

I can't exactly think straight, I'm having a hard time comprehending my thoughts.

The mattress is the only piece of furniture in the room. The right side of it is pressed against the wall, and the left side, the side I'm facing, has pieces of cloth laying on the ground beside it. On the cloths is a dried up black substance. I'd bet anything that's my blood.

I look down and see that all I have on is a T-shirt and underwear, a blanket covering my lower body. The room is dead silent, so I hear every motion I make to move the blanket, revealing about three small sutures in me. Two on my right leg, and one on my left. My skin is sickly pale.

I lay my head back down and let out a sigh.. Keith!

I quickly look up and see him asleep right beside my bed, leaning against the wall. Talon is at the end of my feet with Ashton beside him.

I lay back down and try to stay awake, but my body thinks otherwise.

-----

I jump awake when something hits the floor. I quickly sit up and grip the wall; my body definitely feels better.

"Sorry.." Zoey whispers, picking the fortunately unloaded gun back up.

Everyones eyes fall on me.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Keith asks with his normal emotionless voice, but his eyes say different. He crouches beside me and I sit up correctly, keeping myself covered with the blanket, leaning against the wall. The front door is open, letting in a bright, welcoming beam of light and fresh air.

"I'm fine." I reply, my voice a little deeper than normal.

I cringe and wipe my mouth when a foul taste invades my senses.

"We got most of the blood off of your face, but we didn't want to choke you trying to rinse it out of your mouth." Talon informs me. I didn't pick up the taste when I woke in the night, but I'm not surprised, I did good to comprehend I was alive.

I can feel my face twist up; it tastes like bitter, thick slime.

"Ugh.." I cringe and snatch the canteen from Keith's hands, quickly standing and jogging out of the open door. I drain the water into my mouth and rinse it around, spitting it out, leaving a grey colored water on the cement layered ground.

I repeat the action three or four times, and it seems to do the trick, even though a dull remanent of the taste is still in the very back of my throat.

The cool breeze hits my sweat coated skin and I breath a sigh of relief. Wait..

I look around and see the ground is soaked, the concrete is a brownish color because of the damp environment. The mountains are now just a hunk of brown rock and the trees are green. No snow in sight.