Sixteen

As I head toward the city, we are very quiet. Nalak had tired himself out earlier and is in a restless sleep in the backseat. He shakes and cries still. He is covered in my father's jacket that was left from before we left. Seeing his jacket makes me remember that I didn't get to say goodbye to him when we left. As soon as we find a hotel and get settled in, I will call my parents – well, Dad at least- and let him know we got to the city okay. I still need to find that place...
I finally find a nice looking place and pull up to the front door of the hotel.
"Nalak... Nalak." I shake him and he blinks, looking up at me. "I hate to bring this up right now but I needed to let you know... um... before we... before we found your parents I kind of took some money out of some of the rooms we went into. I was going to tell you later but..."
Nalak just stares at me as if I don't matter and I nod getting out the car. I go into the hotel and up to the concierge desk.
"Hi, um, I'd like to check in please."
"Did you have a reservation?"
"No... what rooms do you have left?"
The lady looks on her computer and clicks around for a second.
"I have small suite and a king room left."
"I'll take the suite."
I've never been in a suite and since I snagged about 3Gs from Nalak's house, I think we'll be okay. She gives me the key and I go back out to the car. Nalak has come to the front seat but is leaning on the window, looking pitiful. I don't say anything but go to park the car and see if I can get into the place from the side entrance.
When I park, I get out and get my suitcase, unzipping it a little and grabbing a hoodie. I go to Nalak's door and open it, making him look at me. I hand him the hoodie.
"Here, put this on."
He does as I say and sticks the hood over his head as I roll my suitcase to the hotel.

***************

As I figured, Nalak immediately goes into the closed in room of the suite and locks the door. This is why I got a suite... I sigh and throw my suitcase on the holder and then go to the phone. I dial out and wait for the dial tone.
"Hello?"
"Hey, Dad, it's me."
"R... Where are you?"
"At a hotel in the city... I... I didn't get to say goodbye."
"I know, son. I'm sorry things turned out this way."
"Why did Mom kick me out like that? Why would she be so mean to me?"
Dad sighs. "I can't discuss this over the phone right now..."
"Okay... I just wanted to hear you."
"Why?"
"We... we went by Nalak's house to get some clothes for him but when we got there, it was as if everyone moved out but that's not what happened. Dad, someone murdered Nalak's parents and then strung them up on Nalak's wall. Their insides were torn out as if they had been eaten and... Dad, it was horrible."
"I'm sorry you had to see that, son... How's Nalak?"
"He's in a daze and really heartbroken. He's in the other room right now so..."
"I see."
"I know it seems a little cruel but... I wanted to hear your voice and make sure you were okay."
I can almost see my father's smile on the other end of the phone.
"I'm still here, Ramey."
"Yeah... I'm worried about him though."
"I'd leave him be. People take grief in different ways... Are you going to be okay?"
"Yeah, I should be fine. Why?"
"Well, this is about the time you'd be having your swell..."
I look elsewhere, even though I know he's not looking at me.
"I know."
"It's okay to cry, R, if you have to. I don't know what it will do but... it's a part of you that no longer works. We didn't take out everything so you may have mood swings or something else, I don't know. I never thought you wouldn't be at home when this happened..."
"Will I die?"
"No, you won't die. I honestly can't say what will happen. Just be careful and stay in the hotel as long as possible."
"I didn't know I would still be affected."
"Well, like I said, we didn't take everything out so when your swell comes along, there are still things that react that would try to make a child. But since you can't make a baby by yourself anymore, I have no idea how your body will react to that. Just be careful and stay indoors when it happens."
"Okay. I love you, Dad."
"Love you too, son."
I hang up and open my suitcase to change clothes and decide to watch a little TV. I know that Nalak is in a funk but badgering him about it will just make things worse. I'll let him do what he needs to do to recuperate.