Chapter 28: The Lovers

Lucy yawed and turned to look out the window, sighing angrily when she saw that it was still raining. But then she turned and saw Ross smiling up at her, and that lightened her mood.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, stroking her arm.

She laid back down and covered herself with a sheet. "Hungry, actually. But happy."

He chuckled and leaned down to kiss her deeply. "I'll see if I can find you some food, see if that makes you happier."

But before he could move, she grabbed his arm and pulled him back down on the bed. "Not yet! I'm not that hungry."

Ross laid back down and took her in his arms, running a tender hand over her face. "I don't suppose we should talk about what sort of carriage we are going to go down into the inferno in after such a sin."

Lucy snorted. "Remember who you are talking to, Ross. I ran away from home with you too, didn't I?"

"That you did," he kissed her lightly once on the lips and again on her forehead, then down to her neck. "And I am sure James will be so glad to hear that we... Well."

"Who said we have to tell him anything?" Lucy asked, frowning. "This is none of his business. I chose you, not him."

"That may be true, but what do you think this means?" Ross pressed. "I know you do not want to get married, but we have to do something, Lucy. If people do find out, we need to have an answer."

Lucy knew he was right. "Hopefully people won't find out."

"And if they do?"

Lucy sighed and ran a hand over his face. "God I wish we could just stay in here forever, and forget about everything else. About the past... What people might say, as if it is their business at all."

"If only the world worked in such convenient ways," Ross mumbled.

"Let's just focus on those who do need to hear the truth," Lucy suggested.

"Somehow that sounds like an idea I would not like to entertain."

Lucy turned to look at him. "I will tell your mother everything, Ross. My only condition is that you are there to hear it as well."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Ross asked, looking wary at the thought. "I spoke with her, Lucy, I told you."

"Ross," Lucy sat up and wrapped a sheet around her, "I told you before, I need to do this. I want to do this. Your mother is only trying to protect you because she thinks Charlotte broke your heart. Even if what you said may be true and she did not, your mother still deserves reassurance that it is safe for us to be together. For us to meet and not rip each other's hearts out. A mother needs that's validation."

"And you would know?"

"Yes, because my mother wouldn't have bothered. I know a good mother when I see one because I did not have one," Lucy reached down and took Ross's hand. "I am going to do this, Ross. I am doing this because I love you, and I want to do something right by someone I love for once."

Ross nodded slowly. "I understand. I could not have presumed to stop you anyways, I know, but I understand, and I will be there when you tell my mother, Zeus himself could not keep me from your side anymore," then he sat up as well. "It stopped raining."

Lucy turned to look out the window and smiled when she saw that it was true. The sun was shining now, and the dark clouds had cleared. The sky now boasted a brilliant blue, with the faintest tint of a rainbow forming amidst the pinkish hue of the setting sun.