Chapter 35: The Call of the Void

James blessed the feeling of land under his feet when he disembarked The Albatross. He paused to take in the sight of Belmoran in front of him, concluding that it was not much for splendor. In all respects, it was a quaint island a man would pass by even in the dark of night. It was a place no one gave a second thought to.

And yet, it was a place everyone wanted to be.

"A tavern for well to do men such as yourself would be The Ruby Goblet," Captain Sutherland said as he instructed his men with James's things. "Decen' men with 'orses and carts will 'elp you bring your thin's there for a fair price. Jus' wave 'em down wit a coin or two."

"Delightful," James grunted. "Do you know where a woman would stay?"

"A brothel, probably," the captain chuckled.

"No, a good and decent woman from a good family," James clarified. "She would be passing through here, possibly living as someone's ward?"

Captain Sutherland shook his head. "No, I canno' say. Ask 'round, sir, someone should know."

"God willing," James grunted, as he pulled out a coin to signal a cart over.

After a squat man with flaming red hair and sturdy arms came forward and accepted the task, James bid farewell to Captain Sutherland. He did not want to think about the challenges that faced him on the island, for they were many. He did not know anyone here, for starters, so he would have to make connections fast, and with the right sort of folk.

Of course, there was no doubt that Lucy had done that as well, so it would be to his benefit to know who was in her corner that could not be swayed to his. He knew this wasn't a war, but there was never a right or wrong time to have allies one could rely upon.

People were kind enough to greet him as he passed them by. Some, however, tossed him odd looks, as if this place was not used to strangers. James knew it was the same in Lanfore; strangers were often scrutinized there. He just never thought he would be in that position. Most all folk knew who he was, at least in Hertfordshire, and most of Derbyshire.

Ah, but this was Belmoran, an entirely different world it seemed. He had to get used to people not knowing who he was, and not take offense to it.

The Ruby Goblet was a comfortable establishment. As Captain Sutherland said, men who seemed well off was all James saw when he walked in. Well, that and the barmaids. It was clean, that was for sure, and rather spacious. Gentlemen smoked cigars and held polite conversations, and ladies sat either with them or amongst each other, tittering about with their fans waving.

"Excuse me," James approached the desk where a kindly looking fellow stood with a ledger book. "Do you perchance have a room available, sir?"

"Surely do, for the likes of yourself," the man replied with a wide grin. "Name, sir?"

"Boatwright. James Boatwright."

"Mhm, so you are," the man murmured, taking the name down. "Whereabouts do you come from, Mr. Boatwright?"

"England," James replied. "Hertfordshire, specifically."

"Hertfordshire?" The man looked up and frowned. "The talk of the town is that there's a young lady about from there as well."

James felt his heart sing at those words, but he tried his best to hide his excitement. "Is that so? How lucky."

"Hmm, indeed," the man muttered. "Certainly has Captain Beauchamp dancing in the palm of her hand, I'll tell you that much."