Chapter Thirteen

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God." 1 John 4:7

Jack's eyes squinted at the brightness of the sun that greeted him. It was already midday and the area had quietened, with only a handful of cars and people passing by. He placed his hand over his eyes to shield them from the violent rays of the sun while searching through his pocket for his pair of dark shades. When he had put it on, he scowled, clutching a fist at what irritated him the most.

Where was this car?

His eyes searched for the driver that Jenny claimed was waiting for them. Angered, he turned his glare on her and saw her gulp in fear. He detested people who lied to him. Was it a woman's thing to do that? Lie?

He cleared his throat and allowed fresh air to fill his nostrils before speaking. "Where is he?" His voice sounded calm and stern, but inside, he boiled with irritation.

All he wanted was to be done and over with this stupid meeting with Houghtons and be on his way. He couldn't bear being in the same room with Natalia. However, being in the same room with her was the least of his problems. He never liked business meetings — especially any with the Houghtons. Everything that had to deal with his father's business just frustrated him. The worry that tagged along with it always drained him; as a result, he was a harsh boss. The type of boss who lacked patience for any nonsense.

He looked at Jenny, awaiting her response. She appeared to be trying to figure out the best way to lie to him. He could tell by her wandering eyes.

"Well?" He tilted his head, placing his hands inside his pocket. He couldn't stop a frown from emerging on his face. Like a fool he looked, waiting for a car that was supposed to be there.

Jenny coughed anxiously, then cleared her throat. "Hmm... He was supposed..." she trailed off, playing with the edge of her blazer. "Oh, there he is," she announced with a sigh of relief.

Jack directed his gaze to the black Mercedes slowly approaching them. He felt infuriated by the driver's lack of urgency to get to them. He closed his eyes briefly in an attempt to keep his cool.

"Jenny." He opened his eyes and stared at her. "Who's driving that car?"

"It is—"

"I don't even care," he interrupted her, raising his hand to shut her up. "I want him fired and a new driver by tomorrow!"

"But sir," Jenny interjected. "He has been your father's driver for..." She quickly shut her mouth, noting the anger in his eyes even through his shades.

"Are you interjecting my command?"

She lowered her gaze and shook her head. "No, sir."

"Go–" he paused, feeling his phone vibrate in the inside pocket of his suit. Hesitantly, he pulled it out. His thought had suddenly drifted to another serious matter than the anger he felt. He hoped it wasn't his dad calling.

A small smile curved his lips as he read the caller ID. He answered. "Hey Marx, what's up? You know you're not supposed to be calling me by this hour," he reminded, walking toward the car that had parked in front of him.

The driver quickly stepped out with a look of anxiousness. From his look, Jack could tell that Jenny had already given him the hint that he was in trouble.

"Are you still coming? Remember, you promised."

Jack heaved a sigh and unconsciously nodded his head in gratitude to the driver as he opened the door for him. "It's only ten AM, Marx," he replied, slipping into the car.