Chapter Twenty-one

"Love is in the littlest act of kindness."

"I got it."

"Let me help—"

"I said, I got it!" The frown masked his reddened face as he brushed her hand off.

Perli rubbed her eyebrow. Confused, she looked at him. She struggled to understand why he wouldn't let her touch his face. Everything she attempted to do to ease his pain since the incident only left him frowning. He gestured for the ice pack she held, and, with a sigh, she handed it to him. She then walked over to the counters, where Liz leaned, fidgeting with her fingers.

Liz elbowed her sharply across the ribs the moment she reached her. She winced, "What's that for?"

"Why did you tell me he was an intruder?" Liz griped, crossing her arms.

"Because I thought he was. He never told me he was coming back."

"And so?" Liz frowned. "You want to tell me you can't recognize your husband's belongings when you see them?"

Perli buried her face in her hands. She wished Liz didn't ask that as loud as she did. Looking at Jack, she knew he listened to every bit of their conversation despite not bothering to spare them a glance. She could only wonder what he thought of her.

"Eish, Perli!" Liz cried out. "Now see! Look at what I have done to the poor guy. You have no idea how awful I feel!" Her voice echoed guilt.

And it was the same guilt that left her apologizing countlessly. No amount of "it's okay" from Jack could make her feel better; not when her action was sure to leave him with a black eye, at least for the next two weeks.

Perli, on the other hand, felt slightly amused. Looking between Jack and Liz, the incident replayed in her mind. For a moment, she felt the urge to laugh and had to press her lips together to hold it in. Who knew Liz's choice of weapon could lead to such great injury?

"He's probably mad at me, isn't he?"

Liz's question directed her gaze at Jack once again. Perli couldn't give an answer. Hence, it was easy for anxiety to settle down in her abdomen and make her intestines knot. She felt there was more to his anger than Liz throwing a spoon at his face. What did she expect? After their last conversation, surely, he had to be swimming in a pool of frustration. The thought of that perturbed her and she played with her fingers. She could only wonder what had him travelling back unannounced. From her knowledge, he was not supposed to be back until the beginning of the next month.

"Maybe I should apologize again." Liz stopped leaning against the counter and rubbed her nape.

Perli cracked a small, amused smile. "Liz, it will be like the hundredth time you are apologizing. I'm sure he is just tired," she reasoned, trying to find any explanation for his attitude towards her. "That's why he looks so mad." Her smile lacked assurance.

Liz narrowed her eyes. She struggled to believe that could be the reason but didn't argue about the matter. "Anyway," a sigh heaved past her mouth as she leaned back on the counter. "I think it's time I excuse myself from here."

"What? Why?" Perli blurted, sounding almost too desperate.

Liz felt puzzled at the desperation in her voice. If she didn't know any better, she would have concluded that Perli didn't want her to leave. She could only wonder why but decided not to put much thought into it. Instead, she gestured for Perli to come closer to her.

Perli did so with slight confusion. Looking at Liz, she knitted her brows. She didn't fancy the rise of a playful smirk on her lips. It read off as mischief and she could only hope the older friend wouldn't say or do anything that would cause her embarrassment.