Chapter # 20

Fiza's POV:

"So Fiza, what should we prepare for dinner? Ehtesham is coming to pick you up, na? We can't let him go without having dinner with us." I paused on hearing my mother's question type statement of 'You should get lost till night'. At least she could've waited a little longer, we haven't even finished our breakfast yet.

"I think he would be happy if you call him yourself and ask. He often told me that he wants to taste your food." I said and heard a slow snicker from Sumbul who was sitting next to Sadaf on my right.

My mom hates cooking!

"Fiza, since you are here, why don't you stay a little longer and commemorate your Dada's (grandfather) death anniversary?" Chachu suggested, knowing that my mother, his Bhabi wouldn't like it.

"I would love to stay, Chachu. But I didn't discuss with Ehtesham about this and besides, Sadaf has her school too."

And I have to confront him too, after what happened yesterday...

"Sadaf could go to school from here. I would personally take responsibility for her, and about talking to Ehtesham about it, you can call him after breakfast or ask him when he comes for dinner tonight." I gulped and nodded. Chachu's eagerness to keep me here doesn't seem favourable to me.

I just hope he won't ask anything about my life. I can't lie to him...

Sundays are always lively at Baba Jani's house, which was my house too once. At least that's what it was, and now I feel like I am homeless. This house isn't mine anymore and that house which is supposed to be my home after marriage isn't mine too. I can't call that house like mine. Ehtesham made me not feel like home there. A home is a place where a person seeks refuge from the hardships of the world and there, he/she is welcomed every time. But for me, both houses are almost the same. A place where you are reluctant to go isn't your home and I am one of those people who are reluctant.

From breakfast to lunch, time flew by, accompanied by my disturbed mind. After lunch, Taha was taken away by my brothers and Sumbul's little brother Kashif, probably for some wrestling. The boys were amazed by Taha who knows how to fight despite his young age. On the other hand, Sadaf was with Sumbul, Baba went to a friend's house, while Chachi and my dear mother were busy chatting about family affairs or to be more precise, others' family affairs, leaving me and Chachu free.

If I were to be the old Fiza, I would've been talking to Chachu like there is no tomorrow. He was my friend, my father and my guardian angel when I was abandoned by my Nani (mother's mother) and left alone after my Dadi's (father's mother) death. He was everything to me, even after his marriage, Chachi didn't mind the bond between us. I often heard her saying that she wants to adopt me after they left this house. But my Dada was against the idea, he doesn't want to be left alone after Dadi's death.

But right now, I am not the old Fiza, nor am I only his niece. I am Fiza Ehtesham, so-called wife of Ehtesham Ghori and guardian of Sadaf and Taha. How can I stay normal before him with all these disturbing thoughts and the fear of being questioned anytime?

"How is your life going, beta? You don't even call me anymore."

Yes, I don't. I am afraid that at one point I will spill everything out. It's not easy to lie to you...

"Sorry, Chachu. Actually, I am still not properly adjusted to the new life and with the responsibility of Taha and Sadaf. Things are a little complicated." At least I didn't lie about the last part.

"Hm! It's understandable, but why are you taking care of them? Bhai Sahab (Fiza'a father) said that the kids' Mamo will take custody of them soon."