2. New Everything

I stared at the house that stood in front of me

I stared at the house that stood in front of me. It's nice and bigger than our old one in Maine. Maybe it's because both of my parents got a higher pay on their last project. They tend to get a lot of projects since the museum. The interior and design of the building caught everyone's attention.

I was only eight when they started that project and since then, we'd been transferring to places after places, wherever their projects were. The maximum year we got to stay in one place was three years and then it just went on. I was so used to it until high school started. I got to meet a lot of nice people at Cornway, Maine that I got attached quick. So the transfer was really harder.

Mom stepped out of the front door and waved me over. I sighed, my shoulder slacking as I made my way up to the front steps. This was, after all, my new home. Well, at least for the next two to three years.

"There's a nice boy helping your dad at the backyard. Go and give them some water," mom said, winking.

I rolled my eyes, muttering, "I just broke up with Jamie."

She was following me as we went to the kitchen. "I don't even think you're serious about him."

I'd set my things on the countertop. She put it down on the chair. I went for the refrigerator and saw that it was almost already filled up. I didn't have to look surprised. I was sure that they'd been going here ever since they'd find out the transfer.

"We're going to prom together, mom. I think that pretty explains we're serious," I said but I paused as well. I couldn't tell her that Jamie wasn't serious with me. Even though she agreed that I could go on dates and have a boyfriend, I knew she wouldn't be happy knowing that her only girl was only played.

She set the pitcher on the tray and I put two glasses on it. "Going together to prom doesn't mean being serious. You'll find someone better, you know. I never liked that Jamie kid anyway." She picked the tray and purposely pushed it towards me. "Now go over there and offer them the drinks. I'm sure your dad's already thirsty from lifting heavy materials."

I shook my head with a sigh as I walked out through the backdoor. The sun's rays met my eyes and I was blinded for a moment until I adjusted to my surroundings. Mom mentioned that our backyard was big enough to have our own garden. I looked around and I was amazed at how it looked. There's a huge tree by the corner of the fence and a tree house was being built on it.

"Dad!" I put the tray on the chair before waving over to them. The boy that mom mentioned also looked at me but returned to what he was holding on.

"We'll be there in a minute, Mary," dad said.

So I waited for them. I got my phone in my pocket and absently scanned the apps.

"Where's your mom?" I heard dad came in closer. He poured the juice on both glasses, handing the other one to the boy.

"She's inside, cooking lunch for us."

"Connor, you should stay for lunch. My wife cooks the best foods," dad said proudly.

My eyes went over to the boy named Connor. From afar, he looked slightly thin. But now that he was only few meters away from me, I could see that he was fit. He's not too big but some muscles were showing off. His hair was in a mess and some sweats rolled on the side of his face.

"Oh, by the way. Connor, this is Mary. Mary, Connor. He lives next door," dad said, by way of introduction.

He didn't say hello but he lifted his head to salute me. What a weird way to say hello to a girl.

"Tomorrow's Monday and your mom already enrolled you to Eston High. It's just few minutes away from here. We can drive you over there but if we have to leave early, there's the school bus stop around the corner or you can go with Connor." He patted him on the shoulder, smiling to his direction. Dad seemed like he trusted this Connor already.

"Can I go there with my bike instead?" I said, prying my eyes away from Connor, who was digging holes on my face. "I think I preferred that."

Dad took a breath before shrugging. "I guess so." He turned to Connor then. "The school has bike parking's, right?"

I finally heard his voice. "Yeah. It's on the side of the building since bikes don't consume much spaces."

If I could dig a hole on his face as well... He sounded too beautiful for his own good.

"But tomorrow's my first day," I cut in, "maybe I can come with you?" I asked Connor directly, finally letting out a smile.

He saluted me again, this time, with a smile as well. But it was only that time that I noticed something on his wrist. There's a semi colon tattoo on it.

ღ ღ ღ

I prepared my things for tomorrow. Only three months left before summer. It was kind of funny that I had to finish it with a different school. And then there's the senior year. Before I thought of that, I had to survive these three months to my new school first.

I stopped stacking my books on my shelf and a thought of Connor came in my head. He had a semi colon tattoo on his wrist, and it somehow disturbed me. Not in a bad way, but in a concerned way.

I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, still the image of his tattoo stuck in my head. When I got back in my room, my eyes almost bulged out of its socket.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Connor as he stepped inside my room through the window.

His eyes were piercing mine, and it took me a moment to realize that he was walking way too fast towards my direction. He took my face in his hand, his thumb caressing my cheeks. "I forgot something when I left earlier," he said.

I frowned at him. "What are you—" But his lips stopped me from talking.

He pulled back with a grin. "Welcome," he said, saluting me.

Before I could process what just happened, he was already hopping out of my room. I ran to the window and saw him walking casually back inside his house.

Why did he kiss me?    

Morgan Matson is coming here in the Philippines next week and I'm so excited to meet her

Morgan Matson is coming here in the Philippines next week and I'm so excited to meet her. My most favorite book of her is Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and I'm about to start to read Unexpected Everything.

Make sure to stay tune because another update will come tomorrow since this is a bit short. 

Dedicating this chapter to @sujejkna for voting on my other story, The Delinquent's First Love. Thank you.