17. The Story that Everyone Knows

I texted Ariel and asked her about Abi

I texted Ariel and asked her about Abi. She texted me back asking where I heard her name and that I shouldn't ask about her ever again. I clicked on her name and waited until she answered my call.

"What are you thinking, Mary?" she asked, clearly annoyed.

I frowned. If she's mad at me for bringing up Abi's name then they should at least tell me what the problem about her was. I wasn't a psychic to figure out the whole situation. If something bad had happened between her and Connor, it wouldn't be that hard to give me the heads up about it. I was being left in the corner here.

"Some girls were talking about her and I don't even know what the deal with her is," I said, starting to get annoyed as well.

She sighed, getting that she had to tell me a little bit of the story they had been trying to keep. "If I tell you about it, will you stop? Like really, really stop with the whole thing you're doing to Connor?"

I paused for a while and thought about it.

"Come on, Mary. I'm not going to tell you unless you promise me."

If I promised to her that I would stop then that would mean it's over for Connor and I. There would be no friendship or anything else between us. If I promised to her, I should hope that my parents would be assigned with another project in another place so we would transfer again.

I took a deep breath and prepared my answer. "Tell me everything then I'll stop," I said.

"Can you come over? I prefer telling you about it personally."

I was on my feet already. "On my way."

This was it—the story of Connor and his sudden disappearance. I was thinking maybe it wasn't that big of a deal but her name's kind of a big mess in his life. What happened between them was something he couldn't get over and once I knew about it, I wouldn't come any closer to him nor should I try any of my schemes.

ღ ღ ღ

Ariel put the drinks on her bedside table. I grabbed one because all the running made me thirsty. When I placed the glass back down, she was looking at me, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Don't look at me like I committed a crime. I'm just a mere bystander in this story," I said with a shrug.

She plopped down in front of me. "Do you really want to know the story of them? I mean, it's not that interesting and you'll be bored with it." She was trying to convince me with that. I wasn't buying it though.

I took her hand and smiled. "If it's a boring story, Connor wouldn't be a bipolar around me. And it's definitely interesting. Knowing that most everyone at school knew about it, it's obviously a big story."

She closed her eyes and pretended to weep.

"Connor won't know about this. I promise," I informed her in case she's worried about it.