7. One, Hard Slap

I woke up really early and waited for Connor outside his house

I woke up really early and waited for Connor outside his house. It might be a school day but I was sure that he's still jogging. I was ready as well. In case he decided to run me out, I would be able to follow him. Ariel texted me after I hung up on her, asking what the hell is going on? I didn't reply. There was no need for me to explain things to her anyway.

I heard the twisting of the doorknob so I got up and waited. When Connor stepped out of the door, he was staring at me—well, more like glaring at me. What did I do to deserve this kind of treatment from him anyway?

I took a deep breath and asked, "What's going on?"

He crossed his arms, leaning in to the closed door. "Nothing." It was his first word to me after he came back.

"Nothing?" I asked incredulously. "Nothing. Yeah, nothing," I shook my head, irritated by his answer.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. I looked at him to see if he was really interested to know the reason I was waiting for him.

When his expression didn't change, I shook my head. "You know what? Forget it." I waved my hand in defeat. I was about to walk out from him but I felt a grasp on my wrist. I looked back and he was holding me.

"What are you doing here?" he asked again.

I yanked my hand away. Narrowing my eyes at him, I answered, "Because you're being a jerk."

"Really?" he asked. Somewhat, he was trying to suppress his laughter. "How?"

"You're asking how? Seriously?" I laughed with no humor. Then with his guard down, I lifted my right hand and slapped him hard on the face. "That's for stealing kisses and sneaking in my bedroom window before you suddenly disappear and started ignoring me. But the real point I wanted you to understand is how you make me believe that I'd get comfortable with this place."

He didn't flinch nor had an after reaction to what I did. He just stared at me like I lost my head. There was no use talking to him.

I walked out of their porch and made my way back to the house, feeling all defeated and sad.

I stripped off my jogging attire and got ready for school. I would be early, but if it would mean I got to ignore and not see Connor, then it was fine by me. I wouldn't be able to face Ariel too, anyway.

ღ ღ ღ

Ansel was at the gate when I arrived an hour before first period. I looked from my left to right to make sure that I wasn't the one he's looking at. But then there were no walking beside or behind me.

I approached him and asked, "I hope you're not waiting for me?" There was a question mark at the end because it was hard to assume. Especially that I just met him, I couldn't just be so comfortable.

He smiled a little. "Actually, I do," he told me.

My brows furrowed. "Why?"

He pocketed his hands. "Uh, just because?"