Chapter 9 - Xander

Sixty-two days before....

"Experiment X, please flex your arm."

"Is that what I am now? 'Experiment X'?"

"Please flex your arm," Dr. Faye repeated as annoyed as ever. He never liked having to deal with my bullshit. I admired him for that, but at the same time, it just made me want to fuck with him more. It's not like I had much to lose.

"'Experiment' has a more negative connotation than 'patient.' Sure, it's more accurate now, but a little more aggressive." I looked up and into his eyes mixing with annoyance and fear. "Do you like that? Do you like talking dirty?"

He swallowed and glowered down at me.

I was strong now. I was hungry. I wanted to break out of the restraints they had around me as I sat in a large metal chair welded to the ground in a different observation room. They knocked me out before hooking me up to this new machine to test new forms of sedatives on me. A team of researchers sat in a glass observation room above us, recording everything.

I ignored them and kept on my task of slowly driving everyone insane. I continued to keep his eye contact, moving so that my neck was visible and my eyes played at his emotions. "Do you like doing other things, Dr. Faye? I think you do. Tell me what you do when you leave this place."

It was working and I wasn't sure how. I felt so in control that I almost jumped up and screamed but I kept collected.

"I...." he stuttered.

"I know what you do late at night," I said softly, turning my head so that the other side of my neck was visible. My brain was in control. Everything was going as it normally does out of the facility. "I know what you do when your wife isn't home. When the kids are at school...."

He swallowed.

"Or when it's late at night and when everyone is asleep...."

His clipboard dropped and he blinked from fright but kept eye contact after. I didn't let my eyes defer from him. "Tell everyone what you're too afraid to tell your family. Speak it. Claim it as your own for once in your life, man," I urged, my glare turning fiery.

His brown eyes widened in fright. "Please," he coughed. "No."

I felt as though the restraints no longer existed and I was back in the world doing this to an innocent man who didn't know who I was. I was myself again.

"I.... I pay the hooker on East Avenue to blow me every night," he whispered, beads of sweat forming on his brow, his brows confused and eyes wide.

I almost laughed but didn't want to end something that just started. "And?" I asked but noticed that he was becoming extremely agitated. The connection might break soon. I softened my gaze a bit and relaxed my brows.

"And he's a man," he groaned.

"Go on."

"And I love him."

The doctors in the observation deck started to become rampant, turning to each other and shrieking, asking what to do. They were all standing from their sterile grey chairs and, with wide eyes, wondering if I could find their secrets, too. They were afraid once again. They knew that I was becoming stronger and no matter what they would do, I would always have the upper hand. Fear set in and panic ensued in that little observation deck, and I was eating it up. One woman ran to the opposite side of the room and hit a button. "Get out of there, Adeno!" she yelped, her voice low and wary and carrying through the laboratory where Dr. Faye was losing his control. "Get out of there right now!"