Chapter 16: Owl Face

Vermon entered her mom's room. She was careful how long she would be inside before her mom returned from the store. She felt around her mom's floor but had not heard any voices. She then began to touch the walls but still nothing. She moved onto her mother's closest. Piled on the floor were a few books and pictures. That wasn't what she was looking for so she ignored it.

She sat in the living room and waited for her mother to return. Part of her was truly frightened. Even though most lights in the house were on, everything felt so dark. Then, out of the blue, Vermon's bedroom door began closing on it's on. When it closed shut she was able to see the front of two pairs of feet poking out from underneath the door. The toenails were sharp and long. 

Vermon hugged her knees while watching the feet. Then...all the lights in the house shut off. Her heart raced. A loud bang made Vermon jump with fear. She could see nothing but she heard breathing. Heavy, loud wheezing and not just from one voice, it came from different voices all around her.

The lights turned back on and this time, perched on the chair sitting next to her was a person. Their head faced away from Vermon, but their body sat up straight. Vermon stopped breathing. The person sitting next to her turned its head, slowly sending sickening cracking noises into the air. Vermon screamed.

This person did not have the face of a human's. It had the face of an owl.

The lights went off then turned back on again. Jacqueline walked inside of the house but dropped her bags when she looked at Vermon. "Vermon..." she whispered, approaching her. She stared at her daughter for the longest time. "Your eyes are getting darker."