Chapter 25: The End

Vermon felt a striking pain inside of her. Her arms and legs bulged. "He's here, it's too late," she told the priest.

Suddenly, the doorbell was rung. Jacqueline saw Cody's body forming. She smiled at him before answering the door. "Good, you're here. It's almost time," she said.

When she opened up the door, she saw a man holding onto a stick. The man held the stick into the air then brought it down upon Jacqueline's head. The man crumbled to the ground along with her. He breathed heavily as he tried to get up.

"I would kill him if I could, get up Jacqueline!" Cody said looking at the time. It was 11:45 PM.

"Fight him off, Vermon. You can do it," Mr. Sanders said faintly.

Jacqueline struggled to get up. She picked up the stick and raised over Mr. Sander's neck, stabbing him right through the throat. Blood gushed out of his neck.

"Imbeciles!" Cody yelled. "Now you must perform the ritual on him! We do not have the time!"

"We can-" Jacqueline was cut off when Cody's face began to twitch. She saw Vermon's face, then Cody's, then Vermon. "What's going on!" she asked.

"She's overpowering me! We're running out of time. Perform the ritual before it's too late!" he yelled.

Jacqueline rushed over to the living room but was grabbed by Cody's arm. His face rapidly changed back and forth between his and Vermon. "Do the ritual!" Cody struggled to say.

Jacqueline tried to pry her hand away but she couldn't. Cody's face was now replaced with Vermon's. Vermon looked at her mother angrily. "You belong in hell," she said. Vermon dragged her inside of the kitchen towards the knives, then grabbed the largest one and held it over her mother.

"Vermon, what are you doing?" Jacqueline asked with a fake smile. "I'm your mother," she whispered, struggling to free herself. "Don't kill me, I don't want to die."

Vermon smiled back. "Don't worry mom, it's just dark and cold, and lonely." She stabbed her mother in the throat. Jacqueline fell limp to the ground. Vermon watched as the life drained out of her eyes.

Vermon looked at Mr. Sanders. He was still breathing. She then went in the room with the priest. "You did it, Vermon," he said to her. "Please call an ambulance and-"

Vermon picked up a camera and walked back into the kitchen. The priest called after her but she ignored him. She took a picture of Jacqueline and when it printed, she carved the number 333 at the top with the knife. She then dragged her mother into the pile of pictures that was on the living room floor and threw her mother's onto them.

"Like I said, it's dark, cold, and lonely," Vermon frowned. "Immortality doesn't sound so bad. The ritual can be done tonight, and using my gift I will free you in the morning."

Vermon's faced switched to Cody's. "Exactly. Use your gift, get the money so you can free me. I will give you a never ending life. You will never need to fear death again."

The clock struck 11:59. Cody's face switched to Vermon's and she smiled. "Good. Being dead sucks."

Vermon watched as the pictures in front of her began dissolving into the floor. Black numbers formed on the wooden floor. It read: 333. Vermon's body shifted back to normal. Her arms, legs, everything was there. She looked at Mr. Sanders. He stared at her with wide eyes then his life drained away. Vermon walked over to him and rubbed his head. "Death is a scary thing. I don't want to die. I'm really sorry," she said, the walked out of the house.

***

Vermon watched as the diggers dug Cody's coffin out of the grave. She'd raised enough money to put his grave out into the world. No one questioned her or even realized who she was. They only cared about all the money she had raised from being able to talk to the dead and coming back from the dead. Her powers sparked the world.

She cared about her life. She did not wish to die. Her greed for immortality made her blind to the fact that Cody was now unleashed on the world and would soon cause its destruction. Would soon cause..our destruction...