Chapter 6

As soon as I'm out and the door is shut Alex leads me over to a reading nook.

"Your the Six am I correct?" He asks me and sits. I sit across from him which seems to throw him off. I'm sure all the other girls were crawling all over him.

I just nod and look down at my hands.

"Your also the one I met last night." He says and I can hear the sly grin on his face.

I look up and blink once. "Honestly, your majesty, I don't think that is considered meeting someone."

He seems a bit taken aback for a moment but recovers.

"Don't call me that either." He tells me. "Just call me my name." I gulp but don't break eye contact. "Now tell me about yourself."

"I'm a Six. There isn't much to learn about a Six." I shrug. There's so much I could spill if I didn't keep a lid on my life.

"Well sure there is." He sits back. "What do you do for hobbies?"

"I don't have time for hobbies. I'm always..." I hold my breath. Stealing. I was always stealing. "Cleaning or watching over my little sister."

Alex's face scrunched up. "That's no fun."

"Life isn't always fun." He eyes me.

"Tell me about your family." He leans forward changing the subject. You can't lie to a prince can you?

"I have a little sister and an older brother. Paisley is a doll, but she just got—" you can't say that stuff.

"She just got?"

"A temper..." I say slowly.

"That's not what you were saying."

"I think I'd know what I was going to say." I say nervously.

"I know your lying why won't you just tell me?" He asks softer than before.

"Because, Prince, there's nothing to prove I wasn't going to say that."

"There's no reason to say anything about this to anyone else. And if I tell anyone there is no way I can prove it either." Alex says.

"People will take your word over mine." I shake my head.

"Then I swear on it I won't tell a soul. I won't even bring it up to you again."

"So as soon as I say it you won't bring it up? You won't say anything about it?" I felt like there was a catch. There was always a catch or a trick behind everything, but Alex seemed truthful as he nodded.

"I promise."

"She got her first whipping. Stole a piece of bread."

"Whipping?" Alex echoes but more of a question.

"You can't ask anything else." I tell him.

"I won't. Now tell me about your siblings." Alex closes his eyes for a moment while I speak.

"Paisley, she is just a doll. It's hard to say no to her." I shake my head remembering images of her when she was happy. Then I remember pictures of her curled up to me or Jason in his baggy shirt to keep her cuts pressure free. "She has grey eyes like most of my family and the same color hair as me.

"Then there is Jason. He's older than me, and really protective. He's always been good to watch out for Paisley and I." I smile remembering his soft smile.

"I remember seeing him on The Report and in a magazine. Made the front page. A few people heard what he said. Really was heart touching." Alex nods.

"That's what he's good at." I go solemn for a minute.

"Thank you for your time, dear." He nods and walks over to me helping me stand. I hope for one he knows I do not like to be called dear and two that I can stand on my own.

"I'm going home aren't I?" I ask as we are walking back to the Great Room.

"First I have a question I have asked every single woman who I've talked to today." Alex turns and grabs one of my hands, standing too close for my likening.

"Okay." I say unsure of what to say.

"If I were to ask you to marry me right now at this moment of time what would you say?" Alex looked hopeful like he had just made a bet and now he was second guessing himself.

"That's bizarre!" I exclaim. "No one can possible fall in love with a man they just met." I can hear my own disgust in my voice.

"Calm down I wasn't really asking." He says leading me closer to the doors. As he opened the tall door he whispered. "It was just a test, but no one is supposed to know it, so I'd like it if you didn't tell anyone."

I could feel my face turn I like shade of pink as I made my way all the way into the Great Room. Everybody was chatting about what the prince had told them or if they think they are going home soon.

Right now I stood on uneven ground, tripping and flailing my arms miserable trying to keep myself up.

Authors note

If you have read the core series then this is just for you guys. THIS IS IN NO SPECIFIC TIMELINE this isn't before or after Maxons selection. It's like a blank slate. thanks for reading again!!!💕💕💕