Chapter 63

Today was the day.

My dress was even better in person. The sleeves were like a veil and the top a sweetheart neckline. It wrapped perfectly around my torso and the diamonds on the belt reflected any light causing me to shine.

The skirt was a whole different story. The bottom designs were very detailed, but didn't cover the whole skirt. I didn't wear shoes. It wasn't like you could see them, and I didn't want to fall. I didn't see the issue.

My maids did my makeup and my hair earlier today. After, they cried with joy. I'd never leave them.

My makeup was simple with mascara and only thin eyeliner. With the powder my maids put on my face I could see any blemishes and my face looked so pure. There was a shiny layer of lip gloss covering my lips.

I remembered the day of Jason and Payton's wedding with my hair in a loose waterfall braid across my head. Alex said he liked it and now my hair was in the same braid.

I held onto Jason's hand now, trying not to let the nerves get to me. What if I completely forgot my vows? What if my hands wouldn't even slow as they shook.

"You're all grown up now." He says looking at me. I didn't know what to say so I just held onto his hand. "You're gonna be a great queen, Char."

I smile at him and hug him.

"You have to visit a lot when I get back from my honeymoon. With little Rae." I tell him. They couldn't bring her today, because she was too little and they didn't want her crying in the middle of it.

"Of course." He promises. "Let's get you ready." He takes me over to my father and goes closer to the front.

"My baby's all grown up now." He tells me and kisses the side of my head.

"Are you sure you don't want a house by the beach with Jason?" I ask. I felt awful for not having him closer.

"Me and Louis are fine where we are." He promises.

"Thank you." I say eventually. "For everything."

Then the music starts to play. Slowly everyone in front of me moves forward and down the aisle of the huge room Alex and I picked. The ceilings were high and beautiful and the decorative icicles would  hang from the chandeliers.

Before I know it, it's my turn to go down the aisle, but my feet don't want to move.

"It's okay." My dad tells me and encouragingly squeezes my arm. I move. I push through the loose curtain and reveal the beautiful room, but I couldn't focus on the room.

There were lots of people here I didn't know that were related to Alex and this was the first time they'd ever seen me. My eyes skirt the room, but as they always did, they found Alex. And his found mine.

It took everything I had now not to run up to him. He was wearing a shiny silver suit and tie.

My hands shook and however hard I tried I couldn't calm them. I look up at Alex and he tries to keep from smiling. I waited a minute and realized it was for me. I couldn't help but smile. It didn't take long to get to the steps where my dad I parted ways. He handed both my hands over to Alex.

"Take care of her." He says quietly.

"Always." Always was the promise word. The first one people think of the one we rely on. And when we hear it we trust that person.

The priest starts with some formal greeting to the guests and explains why we are here, but I don't listen to it.

My hands shake inside Alex's. He rolls his thumb over the top of my hands in an attempt to calm them. It doesn't work.

I look up at him and start to fear I won't be able to look away. This was the moment I would be able to start my life with him.

"Alex, as you look into Charlie's eyes, please say your vows."

"First off, I went into this experience of the Selection thinking I would come out of this with a Women that I didn't believe I could love. Someone I had been forced into a marriage with." Alex says. I wasn't sure if the people in the back of the room would've heard it. "And, honestly, I've came out of it with way more than that. I love you and I promise to love you for the rest of our lives."

"Now, Charlie as you look into Alex's eyes, please say your vows."

"I wasn't counting on living this type of life. I thought a little about the Selection, knowing I'd be of age, but there's never been a chance for me. For someone like me. When I was sent here I decided I would leave early but maybe the little money would get my family something to live off of." I pause. "Not only did I get the opportunity to come here, I found out how to love."

He smiles at me for a moment and I have to hold back from kissing him now. The rings are brought up to us.

I slide Alex's plain silver band on his finger first and then he hold my ring between two of his fingers. My hands wouldn't stay still.

"I'm sorry." I mutter so only he could hear me.

"Don't be." He answers and manages to slip the wedding band over the same finger my engagement ring was on.

"Do you, Prince Alex take Charlie Sound as your lawfully wedded wife. To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do you part?"

"I do."

"Do you, Charlie Sound take Prince Alex as your lawfully wedded husband. To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do you part?"

And this was the moment. My life would change.

"I do."

"You may now kiss the bride."

I felt one of Alex's arms behind my back and the other hand against my neck. I wrap both arms around his neck and press my lips to his.