Chapter 45

He held me for a second and then pulled back. He didn't say anything so I figured it was my turn.

"I said me or her and I thought you were picking her." I say then I take his arms off my waist and let them drop. "But you haven't actually chosen me yet."

Alex doesn't say anything but just stares at me.

"Alex..." I sigh and shake my head.

"What if I told you I'm taking care of that. I promise." Alex says. I look at him for a moment and he's pleading. "Trust me."

"Turn your words into actions, Alex." I tell him.

"Wait." Alex says grabbing my arm. "Let me go first." He walks ahead of me into the Women's Room and goes straight for the table where Catastrophe sits. He walks her out with him and then looks at me. "I think you should go back in don't you think, Charlie?" He says trying to hide his smile.

"Of course." I say and hurry back in the Women's Room. I smile as I walk back in and smile even more when two guards come and aid catastrophes mom out of the room.

Let's just say I didn't think she was coming back. I go back and sit where I sat before. Everyone stares at me and finally someone speaks up.

"What was it about?" Addy whispers. I close my eyes for a minute and hide my smile.

"Nothing." I decide quickly. I don't look up for a minute because I didn't want anyone to see the smile on my face.

"Where did the prince take Catastrophe?" Paisley asks innocently.

"I'm not for sure." The Queen says curiously.

"Probably sent her home. She shouldn't have said that." Payton said rolling her eyes and looking at her tea.

"But Charlie could've just as easily been sent home for what she said." The queen says. I look up and stiffen.

"How did you...?" I start but I'm cut off.

"Catastrophe came and complained to me. I only told her I couldn't do anything and it was Alex's choice." She shrugs. "She didn't tell me her part though."

"Of course she wouldn't." Payton mutters. I was surprised the queen didn't say anything about her being so rude, even when she's right.

"So Charlie. Do you want to talk about Alex?" The Queen asks. I couldn't say no to her could I?

"Sometimes we might not completely agree, but for the most part he's really sweet." I tell them laughing uncomfortably.

"Where do you feel you are in on the Selection?"asks the Queen.

"I'm actually sort of confident, actually." I tell her. I didn't think I'd say that, especially to the Queen. "I don't really know. I honestly trust Alex that if he stopped feeling something when he sees me then he would tell me. I don't think he would just tease someone like that."

"That's good. I want him to treat you all right." The Queen says. "I remember when I was here and the other girls weren't easy to be near, but, you see, The King doesn't understand that. Neither will Alex. Remember that if you just happen to be the last girl here and you have a daughter someday."

My eyes widen. I didn't even know she was allowed to say things like that.

"Of course your highness." I say still in shock.

Payton looks at me and smiles but I look away trying to hide my excitement. I couldn't just let go of the fact that the queen just made a reference that i might win the selection.