Chapter 21 - A bet

"Sup!" someone shouted and everyone turned to the door.

Hinata was stunned by what he saw. The Shiratorizawa third year's of the volleyball club had come into the gym and all fell silent. It was as if the hero's had just arrived. All the first years looked at them with awe. Many uttered Ushijima's name. Even Hinata seemed to be frozen but Tamiko was used to this. She waved at them.

"Hey, boys." Tamiko greeted them.

The boys greeted her as well, smiling at her. When Tendou spotted her, he went nuts.

"Tamiko-chan!" Tendou cheered and ran over to her.

What followed was a pure reflex that had developed over the last two years. She took a defensive karate stance.

"Get away from me!" she hissed.

Before he could get any closer to her, Semi and Jin grabbed Tendou's collar and pulled him back. He made short choking sound and fell to the ground.

"Satori, leave her be." Jin scolded him.

Within seconds he was back on his feet again.

"But look at her!" Tendou cheered. "She's wearing the coach tracksuit. Oh, how I have dreamed of this."

"I've had that since the start of the year."

The boys all looked at her when it finally sunk in. Their eyes became curious. Soekawa just stood there when tears formed in his eyes.

"Our manager." he sobbed.

"Hang in there, Jin." Semi patted his shoulder.

While Semi was trying to calm the vice captain, little Natsu spotted the grand ace. Overjoyed, she waved vigorously.

"Ah, Ushiwaka!" she cheered.

"Oh, it's the kid." Tendou noted.

Natsu ran towards the grand ace and hugged his leg. Her brother began to panic.

"Natsu!" he screeched.

But the ace wasn't in any way angered or such. He gently patted Natsu's head and greeted her. After a lot of confusion and amazement, Anabara explained why the third years had arrived and all of them were elated to have the opportunity for a practice match against them. Tendou grinned to himself when he noticed the second set of orange hair when Hinata tried to get his sister.

"A wild Karasuno's #10 has appeared!" he bellowed.

Hinata flinched and slowly turned around to the guess monster.

"How 'bout I take you out, right now!" Tendou challenged.

Hinata was about to bite as well when a player asked him to refill the drinking bottles. He took the bottles, bowed to Ushijima and Tendou before he headed to the kitchen with the most awkward pokerface Tamiko had ever seen. She laughed. Both of the boys looked after the little #10 and then Ushijima looked at her, a hint of confusion in his eyes but she just walked up to him and patted his head.

"Good to see you back on your feet again." and walked off.

Tendou had to resist a giggle when he saw Ushijima cover his mouth, partially hiding his pink cheeks. The first years were already too busy with forming teams to witness the flustered grand ace and it was better that way.

"Ah, this is great." Tendou sighed happily. "Tamiko-chan in the coach tracksuit."

Ushijima didn't say anything.

"Wakatoshi-kun, I bet you always wanted to see her in that get-up, right?" he teased. "She looks so athletic but it does look a little tight around the chest, too."