Chapter 46 - A resistance

"I'm fine," Tamiko insisted after getting asked for a third time.

Along with Tobio and Ushijima she was walking through the shopping district of Sendai, nervously chewing her lip. They were on their way to the café where Ushijima had his meeting with his dad, the same man her mother wanted to marry.

"You will like my father," Ushijima told her. "He is a kind man."

I know, she wanted to say but never found the courage to do so. The evening after they had the family reunion she wanted to tell him. But she only sent him a text message stating that it want okay. Nothing more. Now she was afraid of when he found out. She'd never been in this kind of situation before and felt lost. The usual calm demeanor was crumbling and it was frightening. Frightening how she was losing control of her composure. She clenched and unclenched her fist in her pocket while the other tried not to squeeze Ushijima's hand she was holding. Keep it together, she commanded herself.

"There's the café," Ushijima informed them.

They all looked to the other side of the street at the building. It was a small café and was known for its cosy interior and delicious sortiment of cake and other sweet things. For a family reunion it was a well chosen location. Something his must have remembered. That café has been here for many years. Ushijima took a deep breath. The he took the first step. The siblings followed and Tamiko's chest grew tight with anxiety.

A small bell rang when the door opened. It was warm inside the café and not as busy as Tamiko expected. A few tables were occupied with an elderly couple, a busy man with his laptop and a group of female friends. All of them strangers. The waitresses seemed relaxed and cheerful, greeting the trio when they entered. A few eyes turned to them to expect the newcomers but they didn't linger. All except for one pair.

"Wakatoshi," Takashi called and waved.

Ushijima turned to the voice and pause for a moment. It had been years since they had last seen each other. He walked towards his father to greet him. With a spread arms Takashi welcomed his son into a hug. A touching reunion. Tamiko allowed herself a small smile when heart stopped for a moment and her knees became weak. Beside Takashi's seat sat their mother with her arms crossed. When the woman saw her children her eyes grew small.

"What are you two doing here?" she asked.

Both Tobio and Tamiko didn't know what to answer. Squinted eyes watched them closely when Ushijima stepped forward.

"I invited them," Ushijima said.

Shiyori glanced up to the Shiratorizawa ace and her eyes softened. Tamiko could only guess what her mother was thinking.

"Oh, I see," Shiyori smiled and urged. "Come, sit down. I'm Kageyama Shiyori, but you can call me Shiyori. I'm the mother of those two."

"I know," was all he said.

Tamiko pressed her lips to a thin line. It was as expected from Ushijima to notice although she had never told him. He had probably remembered the photos from home. That's how she remembered what Ushijima's father looked like. It was the only way she could explain it to herself. Being observant was a usual trait of quiet people.

The three sat down on the opposite side of the table, Tamiko between the boys. A waitress took their order but otherwise silence ruled over the table. Tamiko tried to avoid eye contact but she felt her mother's gaze on her.

"So, Wakatoshi," Shiyori started and smiled at him. "You go to the Shiratorizawa Volleyball club."

"Yeah," he answered plainly.