Chapter 40 - A best friend

"Tamiko, do you want a snack?" Izumi asked when she got up from the bed.

Tamiko nodded and her eyes gazed outside at the falling snow. A typical January day in North Japan and Tamiko was at Izumi's house for studies. Although it had turned into a partial gaming day which wasn't surprising since Izumi was a proper gaming girl. The game was paused and Tamiko felt empty. Tobio's reaction to mother's return had been a little how she had expected it. It hadn't interested him. Their mother wasn't an important aspect in his life, that much was clear.

"You know," Izumi started. "You could have studied with Ushiwaka."

"There wouldn't have been much studying then."

"Neither is there now." Izumi reminded her.

They exchanged glances and then burst into laughter. Ever since school started again the teachers had begun to pressure the third years into studying. Great results were the schools main reputation and no one was to ruin it. Including the volleyball boys, despite their sport scholarships. Ushijima was studying with Yamagata and she had promised him to join them at some point this week. But club activities were still ongoing. The school band had started to rehearse for the graduation ceremony and Tamiko had to play as well. She would come home late tomorrow because of this.

When Izumi returned with snacks they returned to the match at hand. Izumi was a fond collector of anime games and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm was a game she didn't want to be beaten in. Tamiko didn't mind losing. At least in video games. She wasn't a fan of them but it was an easy way to pass time. They had already played for hours but it certainly didn't feel like it. And time passed again as they started match after match and finished the bowl of snacks.

"By the way," Izumi mumbled in the midst of a match. "What are you gonna do when your mum gets back?"

Izumi's character beat up Tamiko's which had stopped moving. The large KO letters flashed and Tamiko sighed.

"I don't know," Tamiko admitted. "I know I have always complained that she never came but now that she is, I don't want her to."

Arms quickly wrapped around her when her voice began to choked. The circumstances couldn't be worse. The final exams were coming up, her mother was coming home and the graduation was coming up as well along with life decisions for the future. Career advice was already being given to the third years. Some have known for a while what their goal was but Tamiko was still unsure. Coach Washijo had offered her the manager position but she didn't know if he had spoken to the teachers yet. Was he even still considering it? She also didn't dare to ask him in case it put him off.

"You're not alone, Tamiko." Izumi reminded her. "I'm here, your brother and Ushijima wouldn't let you hanging either."

Tamiko nodded. She wanted to believe that this was true but somehow she still felt a little alone. She did trust them but there wouldn't be much they could do, if anything at all. At least Tobio wouldn't do much since he felt no big connection to their mother. And Ushijima, he was new to this whole endeavour. He did know about the circumstances but could he understand them, that was the question. Izumi did and had for many years understood it all. One of the reason why she wanted to help her.

"Let's change the subject," she suggested. "It's still 2 months away until she comes. We can plan something soon."

Tamiko nodded and squeezed the arm that was still wrapped around her. Coming here was always a good distraction from the world and Izumi knew how to make her feel welcome and at home. There was a reason why she was her best friend. Advice was always available, from both sides and Tamiko wasn't always the one with the problems.