Chapter 8

<Truth>

Still stunned by the fact that Erica's getting married at age 18, I asked "You mean Ethan will also be married by age 18?" in disbelief. That was so young! I have always wanted to get married at age 25 and to be married at 18 for the royal family seems like the norm. No wonder Queen Annie looked so young.

Erica just nodded her head. "Geez Ellie, yes. All Royal Princes and Princesses get married at 18." Ethan replied sounding annoyed and I imagined his perfect green eyes rolling but I knew he wasn't actually annoyed.

We finally reached the room, which turns out to be a dinning room and the three of us were talking about marriage. The Fairytale I knew was that the Prince or Princess would get to stay in their palace forever. Seems that I was wrong. Or was I too naïve? I had always love fairy tales and royals, now that I got to see the full picture, I found it hard to believe.

"Unbelievable." I said and stared at the both of them when we stopped walking. I let out a breathe I seems to be holding and let the shock settled down. I huffed and wanted to slip my hands into my pocket because I was too engrossed in digesting the information when I realize I didn't had one. "Oh no." I said after a second. They both looked at me with the exact same expression and said "What?"

I nearly face palm myself hard but I managed not to and said "I forgot to bring my phone out of Erica room. I'll go get it." "I'll get it." Erica said but I shook my head and asked her to sit down. I felt bad for asking her about her marriage and leaving this palace so I should go back myself. She sat down and told me the directions so that I wouldn't get lost. I set off in search of her room. I was careful not to knocked anything or stained the beautiful dress Erica had lent me.

I remembered walking down a lot of corridor but not this particular one. It was slightly older and it gave off a very vintage feeling. Am I lost? I panicked and wanted to ask somebody but not a single soul was around. I continued walking aimlessly and that was when I walked past a slightly ajar door and heard familiar voices.

I stood beside the door against the wall so that whoever inside couldn't see me. I heard "What do you meant?" Said a voice. I think I am rude. I am actually eavesdropping on the Queens. But I was born curious so I couldn't help but stood there plus I am really lost. After all, curiosity kills the cat but satisfaction brought it back.

"My daughter." another voice said. I think it was Queen Nina. But her daughter? Why would she suddenly talked about her daughter? Was she even married? She looked so young to be married. But then again, she was a Queen and they married early. That's besides the main point. Just who was the lucky girl that Queen Nina thinks was her daughter?

"She is my daughter. I am sure of it." The same voice came and this time with determination. I tried not to do the unthinkable but I peeked through the gap and saw Queen Annie's worried face and Queen Nina's expression trying not to explode into anxiety.

"Her? How could it be Nina? Are you sure?" Queen Annie asked and her motions seems to be like she was turning towards the door so I quickly held my breathe and turned back outside with my back to the wall. My heart was racing. Did she saw me? Was she preparing to close the door?

"Yes. Positively sure." Queen Nina spoke again. Who was she? why was she so determined that the girl was her daughter? "Look at this." Queen Nina said again and I peeked in through the gap between the doors. That instant, I regretted because the next thing I saw took my soul away from my physical body. And I was too stunned to move.

It was my baby photo. The exact same one where dad gave it to me when I was 5 and that was the day that Mom and Daphane had shut me out. It was the day that dad had promised to be my secret angel, where he would protect me no matter what happen and how far apart we were. I held onto that promised since forever and dad had never broken that promise.