Chapter 11

<The first step>

"Glad you're staying here! finally I have someone new to talk to instead of Ethan." Erica said, faking disgust when Ethan name was being mentioned and she hugged me tightly. While Ethan sticks his tongue out at his sister. I laughed it off and deep down, I knew I love her like my sister though we just met, she might be one of my new best friend. Besides Maybel and Max. I guess I should have called them. Maybel would be so worried, going to the house and realising nobody was there while trying to dial my number.

"But too bad I can't stay here for long." Erica said and she hung a sad smile on her face. I wanted to comfort her but I didn't know how to. Sensing the sudden change of mood, Ethan suddenly jumped up, scaring me. Yeah, if you noticed, I got scare way too easily. "Let's do something fun!" Ethan said after a few seconds of jumping up. Erica eyes lit up and she smile. She's pretty scary, change of mood in like 10 seconds? But she's just being Erica and enjoying her life before becoming someone else's Queen. I smile, maybe I should be like her. Enjoying life to the fullest without regrets.

"You guys go ahead, I want to talk to Queen Nina." I whispered, I have to do this alone and Ethan looked at me. Erica just nodded and she patted me on the head. I didn't mean to pull a wet blanket on them but I really wanted to know the story. The whole truth to my life. I needed to know what my life was. I wanted to know why it was like that and maybe I could forgive both parents for what they did. Maybe I could accept my second life.

Erica smile and she looked just as gorgeous as the first day I saw her. The same perfect smile with the same hyper attitude. "You probably should." she said and ushered me out of my room. ( yeah, it was my room with my things in it.) Though it was my room, I felt like part of me was missing. It was way too big for me also. And somehow when we were all talking, they had moved my things into the palace and Erica seems to be the one decorating my room. But the way she arranged the furniture store and decorated the colours, it reflected what I was feeling. Misplaced yet welcoming.

"Thanks Erica and Ethan." I smile and said. I was glad to have them supporting me when I was transiting through this rough patch of my life. Erica pulled me into a hug and showed me a thumbs up while Ethan flashes me his dimple smile. They waved before heading back to their rooms which I must say, was quite near me. Ethan's room was beside mine and Erica's was opposite Ethan's. They are two understanding people. I love them. But at the same time scary for me. Never had I ever had one loving sister in my life and Erica was filling up that role towards Ethan and I. I didn't know how to react and I simply accepted it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

After twisting and turning every corner, I could find, as well as asking everyone I saw, I finally found the room they told me. "Queen... Nina?" I spoke while knocking on the door and the hall echoed my voice. It was dimmed and the portraits on the walls followed my movements. It seems eerily quiet in the big hall and I felt goose bumps on my skin. This castle was way too big. I wondered when would I get to move back into my real castle. Or was it like I have to stay here till Queen Nina thought it was right to show me to my own town. Would the people even accept me?

I heard papers turning and clicking of the ceiling fan which could only meant that I was near someone. "Ellie? Is that you?" came a voice from the far end of the room. What a long corridor with exquisite furniture. I poked my head through the thin wooden door and noticed that she was signing papers with a feather pen. Wait what!? Feather pen? What century was this again? I stared at her pen movement and stood there without saying anything. But I felt that I came at the wrong time, considering that she was busy.

I started walking nearer to her and saw her sorting out papers and signing documents. But she was quick to cover it with a book and the title was half covered. Was that my adoption form? I wondered. But if I was rightfully hers, why would she sign an adoption form? "Am I bothering you?" I asked her. She met my eyes and it reflected the same image as me, tiredness, sadness and regrets? Maybe I did have regrets after all, but I chose to not accept it. Maybe she just thought I was someone that looked like her daughter.