Chapter XIV

Although the master barely spent any time in his room I lit a fire in his room in case he decided to fall asleep in his own bed and not the sofa of the Tower where he painted day and night

Although the master barely spent any time in his room I lit a fire in his room in case he decided to fall asleep in his own bed and not the sofa of the Tower where he painted day and night. Mrs. Hall went up to see the master many times afraid of he might become dehydrated again and she would return with a disapproving look on her face.

"He must come out some time surely, he must go out and ride, I just cannot bear to see him locked up there, he is obsessed." Mrs. Hall complained to Mr. Bert as I got back from the master's bedchamber.

"I assure you he will never do as you wish as long as you wish it so, leave him be and soon he will go out again for a ride," Mr. Bert calmed Mrs. Hall who sighed agreeing of the master's stubbornness.

"Yes I'm afraid so Mr. Bert, I should get back to the silver, none of the new staff should be trusted with this lot."

"Of course not," Mr. Bert nodded seeing Mrs. Hall was surrounded by the countless silver on the table.

"I can help if you would like Mrs. Hall, I learned it with my aunt," I offered since there wasn't much more to do, the house was sparkling from cleaning and to keep my mind off the nightmare of the previous night there was no time for idle hands.

It was the same woman in my nightmare, fair haired, veil over her head, dressed as a bride and then she jumped on me. With her long pointy nails she began to rip off my skin and the only thing I shouted was for Mr. Howard's help. But the master could not help me he had his back turned and when he saw her, he did not see me, instead he took the woman and walked off with her on a leash like a pet.

"Thank you dear, I will accept the help and a break for tea while you get on this, tea makes everything better." She nodded taking out her glasses for a moment, her eyes must have been tired from trying to make sure its reflection was its best. "Come to think of it I will send in Ms. Johnson for you teach her, it will do her good to stay away from Mr. Eugene for a while."

"I will try my best."

"Of course I do not doubt it and..." She paused wondering whether to say it though she would. "I'd might encourage you to learn how to be a lady's maid if we were not to lose you."

"Me?"

"Yes your dedication is quite unusual for so young a person Miss Stewart. You remind me of myself when I was your age and I trust you enough to not let a compliment make your head bigger," she patted me on the shoulder and I faintly smiled, a sincere compliment was rather refreshing when it came from someone you admired.

"I hope not and Mrs. Hall, have you worked a long time for the family?"

"Oh yes I am as ancient as these silver," she joked.

"You take care of everything so well," I posed it as a compliment but it became a question, "of the master so well."

"Ah... If not I then who? Is a more pleasing way to look at it, and like you heard I made a promise," Mrs. Hall was done with the conversation and out of respect I did not press on by nodding.