Chapter LXXVI

EleanorValenti this update is for you =)

Lady Walker did not let me see the seamstress without her and made sure to torment the poor woman until the gown was worthy of being brought to Queen Victoria herself

Lady Walker did not let me see the seamstress without her and made sure to torment the poor woman until the gown was worthy of being brought to Queen Victoria herself. Lady Walker sent for the family jewels and made sure to pick the brightest and most polished gems which I thought wasn't appropriate but Lady Walker would not rest until all the attention was on her son and his rich wife to be.

"This way everyone will wish to know you, they will respect your money and in return you shall make my son shine tonight, you will help him in every way he needs, nothing that he asks of you tonight is to be refused, absolutely nothing." Lady Walker commanded after not letting Edna touch my hair by bringing in a French lady to braid it. "And don't forget your escort will be our dearest cousin Brielle for tonight she will know how to guide you in case you forget how to behave or don't know."

"Right, in case I forget to walk and get down on all fours," I mumbled angrily inside the tight corset.

Lady Walker was done and forbade me from eating before the party since there was to be plenty of food at the ball for the Duke was a generous man.

"When the men offer to refill your cup make sure you let them refill it than you'll have the option to drink or to somehow slip it somewhere else but you must never refuse it. You are to do your best to blend in and follow Henry's and Brielle's lead when eating, drinking, dancing, conversing, be a follower, talk sparingly, men of great fortunes never appreciate the opinions of women only small humor," Lady Walker fixed the diadem on my head that belonged to the Stewart family.

"And if I do by any chance slip up tonight? Make everyone see Henry and you for who you truly are?" I tried to intimidate her but she pressed pulled the necklace backwards in an attempt to choke me.

"Then you must know that your brother is an easy target, and that by some miracle he has fit quite well at that school he's at but that could change at any moment should I wish it, Henry's connection there could destroy his reputation, alienate him from society and we wouldn't want that for him would we? Think on how difficult his life would become? Rejected by all at his school." Lady Walker let go and felt the jewels coming away from my skin finally.

"There is no depth you would not stoop to is there?"

"Brielle will be watching you, closely do not disappoint me," she picked up her things to leave when Edna walked in the room.

"As you wish," I bowed jesting at her and she did not like it but dealt with it all the same.

"Milady," Edna came inside the room as Lady Walked left the room.

"Edna come in."

"You look... like a Queen."

"Thank you Edna."

"No truly I hope The Queen does not show or you may put her to shame and that would not be right."

"Mother would tell me this is too much, that a lady does not need this many things in order to shine and that if she does there's indeed nothing that truly shines about her."