Chapter XVIII

After the delivery of the letter while on the way to Stanley Hall from town I saw the master's black horse from far and consequently hid between some bushes for him to come talk or kiss or lay another finger on me

After the delivery of the letter while on the way to Stanley Hall from town I saw the master's black horse from far and consequently hid between some bushes for him to come talk or kiss or lay another finger on me. Soon though the sky grew gray and the clouds got heavy with rain which began pouring down upon my hat and dress, instead of running from it I used it to mask my tears of resentment towards my foolishness.

What did Mr. Howard think of me? He probably laughed at how easy it was to trick me into a kiss and I hated him for it. There was no world in where he could have truly honest intentions towards me, I was only a maid, he would at least marry some girl with a title for he was an Earl. It became obvious under the blurry rain what he could offer and what he would want me to be content with and I could not find it enough. In the end there was no way he could make me any offer which I would be happy to accept and so I had to go. I had to leave Stanley Hall and Mr. Howard as soon as possible if I wished to remain in one piece after encountering such devastating affections.

"Miss!" I heard someone say but kept walking. "Miss! Let me help you!" The person shouted again.

"No thank you!" I shouted back seeing a man on horseback and prayed to God it was not Mr. Howard.

"Miss I must help you get away from this rain," he said coming down from the horse.

"I insist you leave me please," I was visibly upset but this did not hinder him.

"Please let me take you home before you catch a deathly cold," the young man said kindly smiling.

The stranger's hat was soaked and I could see blur of black coat on a brown horse, he was most certainly a gentlemen, his sideburns properly groomed and his face clean shaven, his boots were well taken care of too.

"Let me introduce myself, I am Sir Joseph and what is your name Miss?"

"Miss Alice Stewart," I responded.

"Lovely to meet you Miss Alice Stewart, wait you are the granddaughter of Sir Paul?" He smiled as the rain dropped down from his hat to his hair, how could he know of my grandfather?