Chapter XCVIII

In French soil the country was in a bit of war turmoil yet the people were decidedly lively and always partying up and down the flower filled streets

In French soil the country was in a bit of war turmoil yet the people were decidedly lively and always partying up and down the flower filled streets. The women cared a whole lot less for their reputation and we enjoyed the space of freedom we had to be seen in cafes without feeling terrorized for what men might suppose. We attended many balls crowded with people dancing all sorts of non-sense and our entire wardrobe had gotten sillier as the English would put it and then something unpredictable happened.

"Oh dear," my aunt said reading something which arrived in the post in Paris when we were in France.

"What is it?" Edna asked.

"Your brother has written us some terrible news from England."

"Really?"

"Yes, it is Cynthia."

"What of her?"

"She hanged herself in her room before the day the authorities found proof of her attempt on your life and the scheme she was funding for Mr. Henry which left her family almost destitute."

"Oh God," I remarked.

"But how did find this out?"

"Lady Thomas sought out Mr. Howard for help."

"Did he help her?"

"Yes, he set her up in Bath."

"Oh right the house he used to live when he wasn't at Stanley Hall."

"He is too kind if you ask me," Edna opinionated.

"Yes and so he should be if he wants you to walk down a church aisle for him," my aunt said.

"You sound just like Mrs. Hall aunt."

"Yes when will we meet her again?"

"Soon hopefully."

"Milady?" The maid knocked as we took our tea in the hotel.

"Yes come in."

"For you," she delivered me a note that read:    Six months later...

"What does this..." I was surprised when Mr. Howard walked inside the room.

"Alice," he said and all of our eyes went wild over his surprise appearance in France.

"Mr. Howard what are you..." I got up ready to launch myself into his arms yet holding back for the sake of my aunt and the maid.

"Ahem, with the permission of your aunt, your brother, and your companion I would like to ask you a question," Mr. Howard walked towards me with the ring he proposed to me in secret before it was acceptable to do so.

"Before you go any further sir."

"Will you really interrupt me when I am trying to ask you..."

"Yes I will, did you by any chance ask Mrs. Hall what she thought of this?"