Chapter 3

Hayden settled in comfortably into all her classes by the end of the week. Her favourite was 'Human Behaviour' for obvious reasons. Reed and Hayden had exchanged a few lingering looks throughout the week. She couldn't resist her attraction to his brooding, dark look. "You ready?" Alex asked. "Yeah," Hayden replied and followed him to the car. She knew everyone would be at the bonfire tonight, so she put some effort into her outfit: a lacy black top with black tights and grey ankle-high boots. Alex drove his silver Volvo silently towards the east building with the large field. It took them a good five minutes to get there. Duncan, Emily, Jake, Cassy, Sam, Melissa and Jessica were all gathered around Duncan's Jeep. A bonfire was in the process of being set up in the middle of the large courtyard beside the field. Cars were arriving filled with students. A few staff members passed the Volvo as Alex parked. Music blared through four large, black speakers. The evening sky was filled with orange from the setting sun. Stands were being set up for food and drinks to be sold. Hayden sat beside Duncan on the hood of his red Jeep. He nudged her with his shoulder, "What's new pussycat?" Hayden giggled, "They've got decent music this year." Duncan nodded his head, "Thank goodness. Listening to non-stop outdated bands didn't quite cut it." Girls in revealing shorts and crop tops passed the group of friends. Alex stood with his back to Hayden and leaned his elbows on the hood. She put her legs either side of him and twirled his loose curls around her fingers. The rest were laughing at something Jake said beside the vehicle. One of the blonde girls wearing a crop top bent down to pick something up. Her shorts, which sat just below her bottom, slid up so that a good inch of her end was showing. Duncan watched quietly while Alex shook his head and stared at the ground. Hayden slapped Duncan's arm, "Hey!" Duncan rubbed his arm before wrapping it around Hayden's neck and pulling her, "Don't worry, babe, your ass is still the finest." Hayden pulled herself free from Duncan's hold, "Babe? Really?" Alex turned to face her, "Let's get something to drink." Hayden slid off the hood and jogged after him. They walked through the busy courtyard until they found a stand selling sodas. Hayden saw Reed standing to her far left. He was leaning against the wall, sipping the soft drink in his hand. She turned to Alex to take the Coke from him, "Thanks." She watched Reed as she walked off, but he didn't see her.

Reed stood silently against the wall, taking in all the busyness and, mostly, enjoying all the attractive woman. He tended to spot the blondes first as he felt more attracted to them. The lovely brunette caught his eye, but he tried not to stare. He caught a glimpse of her sexy black lace top and black tights, which displayed her assets to his enjoyment, while she wasn't looking. Alex McGregor handed her a Coke and the two walked off. He felt somewhat annoyed with the fact that Alex McGregor had a perfect life. Perfect grades, perfect volunteer record for extra credit, perfect car, perfect spot on the football team, rich parents and, now, perfect piece of ass to please him. Although Hayden wasn't blonde or extremely skinny, she was rather beautiful and had a gorgeous figure. Reed decided he would approach her later tonight, he would just have to keep an eye out for Alex or any of his colleagues.

The headmaster gave an encouraging speech about academics, sport and the year overall. Once he was finished, they lit the bonfire and blared the music louder than before. The flames drifted off into the night's sky. People mingled around the bonfire, some walked around the courtyard and others sat in the parking lot. "I'm just going to grab my jacket, okay?" Hayden told Alex. "Here, take the keys," he said, handing her the keys to his vehicle. Hayden walked to the car alone. A few girls, who were sitting beside two seniors behind their car, were laughing loudly. They were the only other people in the parking lot. Hayden neared the Volvo. She unlocked it and grabbed her white hoodie from inside. She heard someone on the phone and looked up to see Reed standing about seven metres away. She walked slowly back to her friends. By the time she was within two metres of him, he had finished the phone call. "Hello," he said as she passed him. "Hello," Hayden slowed her pace so that he could walk with her, and he did just that. "How's the bonfire?" He asked. "It's okay, I guess," she answered, "What about you? Are you enjoying it?" She noticed that he hadn't shaved recently. She found the dark stubble on his face very attractive. "I've been to better," he said. Hayden slipped on her jacket which disappointed Reed as he couldn't enjoy the sight of her curves up close any longer. Hayden yawned and wiped at her hazel eyes. "Why do you look so tired?" He asked in a concerned tone. "Because I am," she replied to his meaningless question, "Aren't you?" He walked beside her a little closer now, "Not really." Alex McGregor walked up to Hayden followed by two couples. "Hey, monkey, I'm just going to take them back quickly. I might be a while." She nodded and watched as they got into his silver Volvo. "He was my ride," she muttered under her breath. The wheels in Reed's head started turning, "I can take you home if you want." Hayden's eyes grew for a second before she shook her head, "That's too much trouble, don't worry about it. I'm sure he won't take long." He persisted, "I'm offering. It won't be too much trouble, really. I was thinking of heading home myself anyway." Hayden considered it for a moment. "Okay," she agreed. Reed felt pleased with himself. They turned to walk towards his vehicle. "Why does your boyfriend call you 'monkey'?" He asked. Hayden snorted, "Alex is not my boyfriend. He calls me that because he thinks I look like one." The fact that she was single satisfied Reed. "You don't look like a monkey," he said in a voice so low that Hayden almost didn't hear it. He unlocked a grey Ford truck and walked over to the passenger side where he held the door open for her. Hayden climbed in before he gently closed the door. He got into the driver's seat and started reversing the vehicle. "Let me put the heater on for you," he reached over and pushed a button which signalled the vehicle to release warm air. Hayden's skin crawled with delight as the car heated up. He asked for directions to her dorm. "I live on the other side of campus," he said. "I'm sorry to trouble you like this then," she said, feeling like a burden. “It’s no trouble, don’t worry,” he reassured her. They drove in silence a while longer. Reed bumped Hayden’s knee as he shifted gears. She was startled but quickly relaxed, showing no reaction. “I’m sorry,” he said. “It’s fine.” All he wanted to do was turn around and take her home with him. “Take a right here,” she instructed and he obeyed. He was disappointed when he pulled up in her driveway. “Thank you so much,” she said climbing out. “No problem,” he smiled. She closed the door and walked towards the front door of the house. Besides the one outside light, the little house was in total darkness. He watched as she unlocked the door and waved before disappearing inside. He reversed and drove silently, all the while replaying the night in his head.