79: Jarryd is done

Driscoll lowered his shoulders, without argument, and Jarryd clambered up.

Dax pleaded with him to stay, grabbing hold of his leg.

Jarryd twisted his boot free and used it to shove his brother way.

"Jarryd." Dax sounded leagues away.

He stared down at Dax picking himself up from the ground. Their eyes locked until Dax turned from dust swirling in the wake of the dragon's launch.

Jarryd wiped his nose on his sleeve. Sniffled.

Driscoll laboured over the bay, his speed sluggish, and his wings nearly useless. Before long, though, they landed on the narrow strip of sand below the mainland dragonhold.

Have you calmed enough to talk? Driscoll asked.

"What do think?" he snarled.

You will be her Keeper. You cannot leave her.

"We will see about that." He slithered down to the damp sand. "The sword can pick some other poor bastard." He stomped away, with no idea what he was going to do beyond waiting for Rufus.

He was through with Stakkr. He had never bested his brother at anything, and now Taniel carried... he could not say it again. She would choose Dax over him. Well, he would make it easy for her. It was best, for everyone, this way.

She did not need him.

She had her bloody dragon. Despite her kindness to him, he had probably blown their relationship out of proportion.

Cold water ran into his boots. Startled, he found himself standing in the lapping waves, staring at Castle Stakkr.

Hot breath grazed the back of his neck. "We must take her to Newhaven," Driscoll said.

"Get Dax to help you." He spun around. "She must choose one of us and it won't be me. It is never me."

Driscoll reared his head and looked down his snout at Jarryd for a long moment. The firedrake snorted and, with smoke trickling from his nostrils, he turned aside and ambled along the sand. He launched over the sparkling waters of the bay.

"Tell Dax he can have her," Jarryd shouted after the departing dragon.

I'm done.

***

2 April 2017 - revised scene (was originally the latter part of scene 77)

Thanks for reading!

Vote?

Comment?