Chapter Seven

Soon enough, Esme had returned home from dropping Maddie off back home. "Today was so much fun!!" Renesmee exclaimed with happiness as she bounced down the stairs after taking a shower and changing into her pyjamas; her family all smiled as they each agreed "Maddie is such a sweet girl" Carlisle stated fondly "I hope she decided to come again". They all did. After an hour of watching TV, Edward and Bella took her daughter to bed whilst Emmitt and Jasper immediately turned the Xbox on as they had recently bought a new car game and were determined to beat the other. Alice and Rosalie began their nightly task of getting everyone an appropriate and stylish outfit for the next day. And Esme and Carlisle chose to sit together and discuss about the day. "You were right about Maddie's scent; I've never had to restrain myself so much as I did today" the woman sighed out "and who would beat her up? She knows no in this town!!" she wondered; her husband shook his head as he shrugged "I don't know love....I really don't know" but oh how he wished he did. They all did. The night flew by like any other and before any of them knew it, it was time to get ready for work and school; the 'kids' get dressed into their arranged clothes and Renesmee ate her prepared breakfast; the vampires gulped down a bottle of blood each before they grabbed their bags and headed out - they decided to take two cars today. Emmitt, Rosalie, Jasper, and Alice took the black Jeep whilst Edward, Bella and Renesmee took the black Volvo. Carlisle, with his case, embraced and kissed his wife before leaving for work; he reminded her that he would be home later than usual due to changing his shift the day before. As soon as the family were gone, Esme locked up and changed into her hunting clothes; she needed blood, and the prepared bottles weren't doing it for her. She needed to hunt.

The 'kids', however, were halfway towards their school when, suddenly, Jasper sat up straight with his head looking out of the window; it had certainly startled his girlfriend who was sat next to him. "What is it?" Alice asked with both a kind smile and concerned look; Jasper continued to stare out the window, scanning their surrounding as they passed by "I don't know" he mumbled "it's like....something is gonna happen....something big". Confused by his words, the pixie haired girl decided to let it go but kept his words stored in her mind. Finally, Emmitt and Edward parked the cars in the car park in front of the school before they hopped out of the vehicles and entered the school; Renesmee, however, made a B-life for the gate where she excitedly waited for her friend to arrive - just like every day. Except with every minute that passed after ten minutes of waiting, her excitement began to disappear and was replaced with worry. 'Where are you, Maddie?' she wondered as she called her friend for the third time 'pick up already!!'. To her annoyance, Renesmee heard the school bell ring out; the girl sighed as she turned away and hurried into the building to get to class before she would be late.

By the time lunch came around, Maddie still hadn't turned up for school. "Maybe she's just ill and is taking the day off?" Rosalie suggested, but her niece didn't seem to believe that theory "she would have text me not to wait for her". They had all noticed the missing teenager and each of them had felt a small sense of worry from her missing presence. Whilst they waited in the canteen for the lunch hour to pass by, the head teacher at the school approached them before asking "could you all come with me to my office please?" it wasn't exactly a request. Nodding, the teenagers collected their belongings and followed the head teacher through the school before they entered the man's office. Inside the room, however, was a woman dressed in a suit with...Bella's father dressed in his sheriff's uniform? As soon as they were all sat down, the smartly dressed woman began to speak "my name is Carla Jones, I'm Maddie Hunter's social worker" she introduced "you are all friend's with Maddie, is that correct?" she asked earning a multiple of nods; Renesmee - just like the rest of her family - felt her worry increase "is Maddie okay? Is this related to why she's not in school today?". Carla sent the young girl a polite smile as she continued "it is" was all she said to answer the question "her guardian, John Smith, says that she was at a friend's house last night after school, was that your house?" she asked, yet again earning many nods as Edward spoke up "she came over for dinner, stayed till about eight before my mother, Esme Cullen, took Maddie home". Both the woman and Bella's father wrote what they were being told down "how did she seem to you? Nervous? Anxious?" the woman asked "maybe....scared or like something was wrong?" the 'kids' all thought about the missing teenager; they didn't really know Maddie enough to know or notice these things. But Jasper, thanks to his own special power, could "she seemed rather on edge" he explained "like....she was always on guard...she didn't want to talk about how she get the beaten face" he sighed "it like....she was hiding something that she didn't want anyone finding out".