Chapter Nineteen

Waking up from a nightmare was never a nice wake up call. But that was how Maddie awoke this morning - it was about the vampire who wanted her blood. Talking of vampires, however, where was Selena? After regaining control over her racing heart and breath, the fifteen year old stood up from the bed and began to look around after putting her black heeled boots on and retying her hair up into a messy bun - she was still dressed in her red dress and black short shorts from the party; she recalled all that had happened the previous night and couldn't help but begin worry - she had said that she would either be in the bedroom or in the toilet. But after looking in both rooms, her concern only increased when her friend was nowhere to be found. There were only three manmade....girl made....vampire made rooms, so Maddie entered the last room with her high hopes of finding her friend; a wave of relief washed over the teenager when she found Selena....at on the floor, leaning her back against the stone wall? "Morning" Maddie greeted as she stood in the doorway between the two rooms; the vampire was visibly startled by the sudden voice "m...morning" she hesitantly returned. Now that her concern was once again back, Maddie folded her arms "what's wrong?" she asked, followed by "has something happened?". Had that blood thirsty vampire found them? Were her family okay?! Selena hurried to put the human's mind at ease "no, nothing's wrong and nothing's happened" he stated before saying that all was fine with a forced smile; Maddie couldn't bring herself to entirely believe what she was hearing, and she wasn't about to drop the subject of knowing something wasn't right. "Okay...they why are you acting strange?" she asked as she walked over and sat two feet away from the older teenager; the vampire moved her head to the side so that the human couldn't see her face "I...I already told you, everything's f...fine". The clear lie confirmed what Selena was trying to deny.

Staring at the vampire - who refused to even glance towards her - with a suspicious and confused look, Maddie reached forward and gently placed two of her fingers under the older teenager's chin, moving her head until they were finally face to face; Maddie then realised why the vampire didn't want to reveal her face. Her long sharp white fangs were on show and her usually golden eyes were a dark blood red. "I...I'm sorry you have to...see me like this" Selena stated, ashamed she was struggling to hold onto her control yet she attempted to smile and laugh the whole situation off; Maddie continued to stare that the face in front of her in awe "why are your eyes like that?" she asked with curiosity "and your fangs?". Clearly not wanting to get into it but knew she needed to give some sort of explanation, she reluctantly spoke "I...I haven't...hunted....in two days" she looked down towards the ground, suddenly finding her lap extremely interesting "and I normally go hunting one a day....sometimes twice if I have nothing to do" she added; the young human slowly nodded her head in understanding "so....you're thirsty?" she questioned earning a hesitant nod. Feeling bad for her friend, Maddie asked why she doesn't just go hunting and ease her increasing hunger for blood - she was honestly confused as to why the vampire hadn't already done this whilst she was sleeping. "I can't" Selena stated a she shook her head "I...I promised your family that I would protect you" Maddie rose a brow, wondering when she had actually made such a promise to the Cullen's and Hale's "if I go and something happens to you...I couldn't....I would never forgive myself" she explained "besides, I also promised you that I would be here when you woke up...I wasn't about to break it". Now understanding her worry as to why Selena couldn't leave, Maddie found herself feeling partly responsible for the vampire's growing agonising thirst, an idea came to her mind....but she knew Selena wouldn't like it, nor agree to it. But if she refused to leave the cave to hunt, this was her last option.

"Well...how about you....drink from me?" the human asked, startling Selena who's eyes widened as her head shot up, staring at her friend in shock and slight horror "what?!" she exclaimed "Maddie...you don't know what you're suggesting" she began, only to see Maddie shake her head "yes I do...I trust you Selena" she stated; the younger teenager gently grasped Selena's cold hand "I trust you to stop and to stay in control". Truth be told, Maddie had managed to persuade Alice to explain how vampires feed from humans; she had explained all the risks and how it could be done without turning the human. Talking of control, Selena was doing all she could to not agree to what she was being offered "you...you really shouldn't trust me Maddie...I'm dangerous-" she began but was cut off by her still smiling friend "I know you are" she agreed "heck, I live in a household full of potentially dangerous people" she reminded "...but I still trust you because-" not sure how, Maddie managed to stop herself from revealing more than she was ready to. Selena, however, raised a brow as she asked the human girl what she was going to say before she had cut herself off; Maddie remained silent for a moment as she looked down to the floor, fidgeting with her hands as her nerves began to take over "because I....because I like you" she finally revealed. Taken back by the confession, Selena knew the younger girl didn't mean her words in a friendship way "you....like me?" she repeated, wondering if she had heard the human before her correctly; Maddie, with very much shyness and hesitance, nodded her head "well....yeah". Silence filled the room as Selena took in the new and valuable information and allowed herself to process it....which was difficult. As Selena continued to stare in shock and realisation at the younger teenager before she, just much like Maddie had done to her, lifted her chin up until she could properly gaze at her beautiful face.