Six

I was already out in the fields working when the sun had begun to rise the next morning. I had put it upon myself to act like it was just another day. I didn't want to think about the Dragon Riders that were planned to arrive today, nor about the fact that my mother and old man Jenkins could possibly be getting married.

Squatting down to the ground to pull out a weed, I noticed that the area seemed to be very quiet. It was strange that no one was around, but then again I knew it was still very early in the morning and most of the villagers would also be getting ready for the Riders arrival.

As I placed a carrot into one of the cane crates that I brought out from the farmer's shed, the sound of hooves hitting the ground echoed around me. It wasn't just the sound of one horse, it was the sound of many.

They have arrived, my Rider. Aurora whispered in my mind.

At her words, I felt my heart drop. I didn't want to face them, and even if I did, I wasn't ready to. Ironic. Only days ago, I desperately wished more than anything to be a Dragon Rider, yet here I stand, shaking and afraid they would find me.

Grabbing the cane crate, I made my way towards the farming shed. However, I came to a sudden stop when the king's horseman came riding through the farming village. As I watched the men ride pass me, I noticed they were all wearing armour and carried the royal flag of the king.

On the flag was a symbol of a gold Phoenix surrounded in white cloth. On the border of the flag was a light gold print. In the midst of the men, was the king himself, seated on top of a white horse. He was quite easy to spot, dressed in gold armour, which contrasted quite well against his silver armour.

As I gazed at the king, I couldn't help but notice how his son seemed to resemble him. They both had the same nose and jaw, but where the king had brown eyes his son had blue. I wondered if William got his eyes from his mother or his dragon.

Moving my gaze behind the king, I spotted the Priest. A gasp left my mouth at the sight of the Priest and the book in his arms. The leather coloured book with gold around the edges was the same book that had held centuries of rider's names. That book was what would have my name in it.

Dropping the crate, I gazed at the book as they disappeared down towards the inner village. Once they were out of sight, I felt my heart drop.

Breathing hard, I stared at the ground below me, too afraid that if I looked up, I'd have to face reality. A loud thud on the ground in front of me had me flinching. I closed my eyes and tried to control my breathing.

You do not have to be afraid, Abagail, for I will not let any harm befall you.

Lifting my head towards the sky, I took a deep breath. Pushing the air out of my lungs, I opened my eyes to gaze up at Aurora. Her eyes seemed to hold so much respect and support, and that made me grateful.

"I'm trying to do what's right," I whispered.

Then do it by showing them what we are destined to do.

Releasing a loud roar into the air, Aurora stood on her back legs with her blue wings spread out wide. The show of power not only radiated out of her but also flowed through me. Smiling up at her, I nodded my head.

"Promise me you will help me every step of the way."

I will never leave you little one, she whispered.

Looking back at my broken hut, I bit my bottom lip. Father would want me to go and fulfil my destiny as a Dragon Rider, and just by the mere thought of him, I know he would be proud of me.