Ten

The sound of banging entered my dreams, stirring me from my deep sleep. I didn't want to wake from my blissful dream of Markus and I when we were kids. We were playing by a lake. He was chasing me around the lake as he splashed water in my direction. How I missed spending time with him like we did when we were kids.

Opening, my eyes I gazed up at the white roof, my thoughts going back to everything that had happened. I was now a Dragon Rider, living inside the kingdom and protecting the land.  Although the thought of being a Dragon Rider still scared me, I knew the Founder Dragons wouldn't make a mistake with who they chose nor would the High Priests book.

The sound of banging started once again, followed by a gentleman's voice. Moving the blanket from my legs, I headed towards the door. Grabbing a small navy blue robe from a chair situated near the door, I unlocked it to see the man that would be organizing my ball gown standing there with a frown on his face. His suit today was of gold colour, the Phoenix symbol still on his breast pocket.

Looking up at the man, I tightened the robe around me. "Can I help you?"

Pushing me aside, he walked into the room. "There is much to be done today." Turning to me, he clapped his hand, eyes roaming my form. "Yes, the gown will do just fine."

"The what?" I questioned.

"Your acceptance gown. I've been up all night making it for you." Clapping his hands twice, two young maids walked into my room, carrying a light blue gown. Gently placing the gown down on the bed, one of the young maids walked towards me.

Gripping my arm, she pulled me towards the small bathing room. "Please follow me, rider." After pushing me into the hallways, and towards the bathing room, the young maid stood  facing the door. "Please bathe. No need to dress, just wrap the towel around yourself."

Nodding my head, I turned towards the running water. The water was coming from the River of Peace but had been heated by the maids. I had never seen a place like this before. The room almost looked like a cave, a giant circular pool situated in the middle of the room before heading towards the edge of a balcony. Stepping into the water, I could feel all the tension drain away. It was almost as if the healers had used their magic. Laughing at the thought, I sank deeper into the water.

Closing my eyes, I felt my mind drift off.

You seem relaxed, Rider.

Shocked by the sudden voice that entered my mind, I jolted up in the water causing some of it to spill on the sides.

"Is everything okay?"  Squeaked the young maid.

Turning towards the panicked maid, I nodded. "Yes," I whispered. Frowning, I gazed down at the water.

Do not be afraid of me Abagail, for I am the High Priest.

"What?" I whispered. "But I thought the Priest that came to collect me was—."

No, he was one of the many priests that go to the riders. The voice explained. It's a mixture between a husky and sweet. Almost as if the two were talking over each other. I am unable to leave the grounds in fears of an attack, but we shall meet soon.

The feeling of someone grabbing my shoulder snapped me out of my thoughts. Turning my head towards the person, the young maid stared down at me. "Rider? You have been quiet for some time," she said.

Taking a deep breath, I nodded. "I'm sorry. I must still be tired."

Nodding, she held out the towel. "We must get you ready for your acceptance ball." I wrapped the towel around myself, making sure it wouldn't fall as I lifted myself from the water. As we left the bathing room, the sound of voices had me grabbing the towel tighter. Looking towards the end of the hall, William and a guard had stopped and were now looking up at me.