Seven

The king's words echoed through my head, as the murmurs of my fellow villagers began to grow in volume. I could hear their shock but most of all, I could hear the disappointment as husbands spoke to their wives. Closing my eyes and clenching my hands, I took deep breaths to calm my beating heart.

"She doesn't deserve to be a Dragon Rider!" a male's voice yelled. Snapping my head in the direction of the man's voice, anger seeped through my veins. The feeling of new power etched its way through my muscles as they itched to start a fight.

Taking a step forward, King Albert tilted his head at the man. "And who are you to say who can be one of my Dragon Riders?"

Puffing out his fat chest, Old man Jenkins smirked towards me. "I'm her new father."

"Over my dead body." I hissed. I felt my vision intensify, as colours seemed to become more enhanced than they were before. Everything around me was bright, with the corner of my vision blurred slightly. Aurora's loud scream ripped through the air as she went on her back legs, wings stretched out wide in a show of dominance over him.

Pointing his finger at me, I watched as a bead of sweat trickled down the side of his face.

"See what I mean!" he yelled. Taking a step back, I watched as he moved towards my mother. Without giving the command, Aurora moved her wing, shielding my mother from the vile man. Jumping in shock, old man Jenkins clenched his fist.

"Abagail, stop!" Sarah yelled. Pushing the wings out of her way, mother ran towards me.

Gripping my hands that were clenched tightly by my side, she gently squeezed. "Abagail." She whispered. "You don't have to do this. If you don't want me to marry him then I won't, I promise you."

Blinking away the new found vision, I watched as the bright colours faded away into its normal colour. I kept my gaze on Jenkin's in case he decided to try and do something else stupid.

"Abagail," The king spoke "I am unsure on what has caused this anger towards this man, but I assure you, if this man is causing your mother any issues, we can take measures in order for her to stay safe."

Looking down at the ground, I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry," I whispered. Sensing someone to my right, I moved my gaze to see Markus smiling down at me.

Placing his hand on my shoulder, he gave it a gentle squeeze. "It's okay little one, you still don't know how to control your feelings yet. All will be explained back at the castle."

"I can't leave yet," I said, looking around at the villagers. I could see so many familiar faces that I had grown to love, and some to hate. "These people have lost homes, family members and friends... I can't leave them when there are still plenty of things that need to be fixed."

"That's okay. We don't have to leave just yet. We will be staying here till nightfall tomorrow, then we head back. You have training to start, and I'm sure your father would want you to start your destiny as a Dragon Rider," Markus said as he whispered the last part near my ear.

He is right, Abagail.

"Fine." Looking towards the villagers. "I will go with you, but not until the village has been fixed."

A few of the farming ladies smiled my way as children ran towards the dragons. I couldn't help but feel a new sense of hope. Hope for a new start. Hope for my mother. She would finally be able to be protected and knowing that the king would help me stop Jenkins from getting near settled my anger.

After swearing to the king, I would follow him and the riders back to the castle, the rebuild of our town was finally underway. Jenkins had been sent away by the king, saying he wasn't needed. Knowing that I wouldn't have to see him made my mood a little better, but knowing the one person I had longed to see was here, had my heart soaring into the clear sky.