Chapter ~ 15

Ethan

I couldn't sleep that night. For as long as I could remember I had done everything I could to ignore anything 'mate' related. Since I was young, I'd always known my sexuality. I'd never gone through that questioning stage – I'd never had to question it. I just knew. So as soon as someone would talk about mates, I would close off. I'd mentally stuff my fingers in my ears and hum a random tune. I didn't need reminders of how fucked up my life was going to be when the time came for me to meet my female mate.

But now in the early morning, as I threw in the remains of my belongings into my bag, I knew that now was the time. I needed to know about mates. I needed to face my fears head on, and maybe it could distract me from my thoughts about Quinn.

I glanced at my clock and smirked as I saw the time, 3 am. Perfect. Pulling my bag over my shoulder, I began my journey to my parent's house. Now you're probably wondering if it takes hours to get to my parent's, and the answer to that is no. It takes me twenty minutes tops to reach my parents country ranch- Hence why I was leaving so early.

It was still dark as my truck pulled into their long drive. I could see my old horse Jester. He looked at the truck, and I mentally apologized in advance for my next move. I slammed on my breaks at the last moment causing a deafening screech of the tires, before I slammed on my horn. I looked up at their window and waited. It took only seconds for my father to pull open the curtains to investigate what the noise was. When he noticed it was my truck, I watched in satisfaction as he cursed the house out. I'd never thought of myself as a lip reader, but even I could interpret what a quick open of the mouth followed by a slight rounding of his lips meant. – oh plus the middle finger he threw my way.

Yeah, fuck you too dad.

As expected he waved his hand off in frustration, no doubt going back to bed.

I grinned. What better way to spend the morning, I thought as I jumped out of my truck and walked towards the gate of the field where the horses were kept. I made extra sure I was as loud as humanly possible as I scraped the gate across the ground.

This was one thing I knew would piss him off enough to open the front door. The only thing he cared for more than his horses was my mother.

I whistled. I hadn't seen Jester in a few months, so he came galloping up to the gate.

"Hey, there boy" I smiled, momentarily forgetting my 'piss dad off' mission. Jester had been my horse ever since I was big enough to move from a pony onto a stallion. He was ginger from head to toe and had no markings whatsoever.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" I smiled slyly as I heard my father yell from the window.

"Saying hi to Jester, what does it look like!" I yelled back.

"CLOSE THE GODAMNED GATE! THEY'LL ESCAPE YOU IDIOT!" I hide my grin with my back to the house so that he couldn't see.

"Sorry, what was that? I can't hear you" I asked him, not turning to face him, knowing this would just piss him off more.

"Don't play that shit on me! Not at the horse's expense!" He growled. I noticed a couple of his horses begin to walk towards me and the gate.

"You better come close it quick then dad" I called, pushing on Jester's neck to turn him back into the field before I walked back to my truck leaving the gate open.

"Little son of a bitch" I heard him growl as he stormed down the stairs - mission accomplished.

"How dare you!" He bellowed running to close the gate, but then noticed that two of his prized horses had already escaped.