Chapter 26 - Goku to the Rescue

"Waaaah!" Baby Trunks cried flailing his arms about. He still sat alone in the kitchen.

"Poor little baby, maybe a warm bottle of milk will calm your nerves?" Cell Junior purred, entering the kitchen.

Trunks abruptly stopped crying as he looked upon the new visitor. He tilted his head to the side and then began to giggle uncontrollably, clapping his hands at the appearance of his new guest.

"You think I have a funny face, do you? Well, I'm glad to bring you some joy before I end your life," Cell Junior said with an evil smirk as he started to charge energy at his fingertips.

"Trunks, my baby! I finally found your baby food, no more reasons to cry," Bulma called from the hallway as she approached the kitchen.

"Well, I guess I better finish you off fast!" Cell Junior shouted.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY BABY?!" Bulma cried in terror as she stepped into the doorway and saw a tinier version of Cell collecting energy at his fingertips as he waved it toward her son. Without another thought, Bulma ran toward Trunks and shielded her beloved child. Bulma was hit full blast with Cell Junior's attack, as she fell over Trunks' high chair. Just then Goku materialized and witnessed Bulma sacrificing herself for Trunks.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" Goku yelled as Bulma hit the floor. The wrath that he felt at the moment was indescribable, all he could see was red and all he could feel fire. The ends of his hair turned gold like the blazing and raging fire he felt burning inside him and an angry glow surrounded him. Fixing a deadly stare at the miniature Cell, Goku strode toward the little cretin. Goku snatched up the little Cell Junior with fierce speed and without giving him a chance to plead for his life, Goku snapped his head off. Knowing that Cell had the ability to regenerate himself, he powered his palms with his ki and crumpled up Cell Junior's small body into dust.

"Goku...Goku, how's Trunks? Is he's ok...?" Bulma coughed and blood spurted out of her mouth. At the timid sound of her voice, immediately Goku's anger calmed and his super saiyan form was doused. He immediately ran to Bulma's side, crouching over her and holding her close in his arms.

"Bulma, you're still alive!" Goku breathed in relief, burying his face in the crook of her neck and inhaling her scent once more. Bulma coughed once again.

"Trunks, he's alive? The blast didn't go through me and touch him?" Bulma asked, tears forming at the corners of her eyes from the numbness she felt taking over. Goku looked back at his high chair and the young baby was curled up in the corner of his seat, rigid fear set on his young features.

"Yes, he's alive, thank Kami! He just needs his mom to get better and take care of him," Goku reassured as Bulma's lips trembled.

"Goku, no. I don't think I'm going to get better..." Bulma said tearfully with a remorseful smile. "But I am lucky though, I did get to see what a fine young man he'll grow up to be before I go...Please watch over him..."

"Bulma! Stop saying silly things like that! You're going to be just fine, we'll take you to the hospital and you're going to get better. Trunks will grow up with his mother by his side..." Goku insisted as he gazed into Bulma's watery eyes, but even as he said the words he felt her life force fading quickly. Even tears began form in his own eyes as watched his first love take her last breaths.

Bulma stared into Goku's dark onyx eyes and saw a wealth of emotion in them and she felt something familiar about the expression. Too familiar.

"Goku..." she rasped, reaching up for his face. "I think I..."

Then her hand dropped down and Bulma fell limp in his arms.

"BUUUUULMAAAAAA...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Goku cried out in anguish, tears falling freely from his eyes and his hair turned golden once more from the raw emotion he was feeling. He felt as if heart split into two halves.