T H I R T E E N

Kassi 

As soon as the bell rang, I hightailed my butt out of the school parking lot as fast as I could. I was 10 minutes late picking up Ares. 

I sighed in relief when I saw his school up ahead and thanked God for making his school  so close to mine. 

I parked and ran to his classroom, hoping that he wasn't alone and scared. When I finally arrived I paused in disbelief and watched through the door window as my younger (normally shy) brother was talking to a girl classmate excitedly. 

He must have been telling her a story because he was waving his hands around wildly and talking fast. The girl was fascinated and I saw them both giggle when Ares finished his story. 

I was so engrossed with watching them that when a throat cleared from behind me, I nearly jumped out of my own skin. 

I quickly turned around and was met with an older woman giving me a welcoming smile, Ares's teacher "Isn't it adorable. They seem to be getting along quite nicely if I do say so myself" 

"I'm sorry" I said sheepishly "I'm just not used to him adjusting this fast" 

The woman gave me a sympathetic smile "It's alright hon, I know how it is. I was an army brat once and remember moving around constantly too" 

I gave her a forced smile "Oh No! Nothing like that. My mother is a freelance artist and is constantly looking for new inspiration. She thinks by traveling to new places allows her to connect to nature. I guess being her kids, we get to connect with nature too. I guess" 

The woman smiled again "That's a neat way to think about life" she motioned for me to follow her "You're Ares sister, aren't you?" 

"Yes" I followed her fast paces "How is he doing by the way? Any trouble?" 

She paused outside the classroom and shook her head "Ares is the sweetest little boy I have ever met. Very helpful and very mature for his age" 

I beamed "So... He did fine today" 

She nodded "At first, he was hesitant to interact with the other children until Madison came to play with him. After that, he was fine" 

I heaved a sigh of relief and the weight from my shoulders loosened a bit "Thank you, I really appreciate you staying after school with him. I promise I won't be late again" 

She waved my concern away "Don't apologize sweetie. It's my job to watch these beautiful children" 

I smiled and opened the classroom door. When Ares saw me, his face lit up and he ran to me. I caught him halfway and lifted him up in the air. 

"How's my favorite brother?" 

He giggled "I'm your only brother Sissy" 

I laughed and put him down "True. Now go get your stuff and say goodbye to your friend" 

He ran to his desk and grabbed his backpack before waving to the girl. 

"Bye friend!!!" 

She giggled and blushed "Bye friend!!!" 

He ran to the door and I scolded him "Don't be rude Ares. Say goodbye to your teacher also" 

He blushed and mumbled his goodbye. 

I laughed and followed him outside. Since he was underweight and extremely small for his age, I put him in his toddler seat.