T W E N T Y - N I N E

Rhys

"Kassi" I said softly "Do you want to come upstairs and rest for a bit? I'm sure your friends would be happy to watch Ares for a bit"

"No thanks" she replied briskly while continuing to glare at door that separated her and her brother.

"Kassi" I sighed "Its been a whole day and you haven't eaten anything. It won't kill you to take a break"

She turned towards me and I was startled by her eyes once again. They were slightly glowing, a mixture of midnight blue and purple undertones.

I wasn't worried that her eyes were glowing, because it's normal for our eyes to glow right before we shifted, No, I was worried because ever since Ares her eyes have remained that color.

Not once did they dim nor did she shift, something that was really unusual.

"It might not kill me," she emphasized "But it might my kill my brother if I'm not here watching him"

"Kassi..."

"10 times" she gritted her teeth "I watched him shift 10 times already and each time he shifts back to a human, he begs and pleads for it to stop. For me to take the pain away. Do you know how much it kills me to watch him suffer and not being able to do a damn thing about it? I can't even comfort him because of these stupid rules of yours. I can only watch him through this freaking one-way mirror"

"That's normal..." I began

"NOT TO ME!" She exploded before pointing her finger towards her brother "None of this is normal. I don't think you get it Rhys. I wasn't raised like you were, I wasn't raised to believe that Werewolves were real. I wasn't raised to believe that everything I read in books or watched in movies were true. I was raised human. We were raised HUMAN. I can't handle this. I'm about one step away from having a mental breakdown"

"Kassi" I stepped closer to her "You might not have been raised like us but it's who you are. You can't deny that a little piece of you knew that this existed all along. You knew that you were different. Now you know why"

She flinched "Yeah, but I didn't expect my life to turn into the Mortal Instruments"

I raised an eyebrow "What?"

"Never mind" she grumbled

"Oh" I snapped "Is that the show where the guy from the Maze Runner's best friend becomes a Wolf?"

"Unfreaking believable" she muttered "Ironic that you know Teen Wolf but don't know the Mortal Instruments"

A whimper sounded than and I turned and watched as Ares curled up in a ball on the floor.

Kassi jumped up and pushed me out of the way, making me stumble towards the stairs.

"11" she whispered as Ares began crying and calling out for his sister.

My heart broke and I winced when she gave me a look that screamed "Get Out and Leave me Alone"

"Remember, you need to rest" I said softly "I'll be back in an hour to check up on you"

Silence

I sighed and went upstairs where both my friends and Kassi's were anxiously awaiting my return.

"So?" Taylor asked while biting her lip "How is she? How's Ares? What Happening?"

I sat on the couch, my shoulder slumped in defeat "She's having a hard time wrapping her head around us. I think, under different circumstances, she would be taking this better"